Selling Advertising Space

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hi,

I have a custom ColdFusion script I am using to sell advertising on my site.  I've been using it for many years, but it's getting harder to maintain.

I'd like to sell advertising on my site using built in tools.

Can I set up an ad that users can purchase where they upload any number of images, and they display randomly from that advertiser?  For instance, they upload 5 images and each time that vendors ad displays, it is a different image / link?  This is part of how mine is built now and they are only charged once, I don't want them to have to upload 5 images into 5 different ad placements and get billed for all of them.

Is there somewhere to go to learn more about how this works?

Thank you

• Solution

Currently, Commerce bills advertising based on the ad. Therefore, in this context, they would currently require 5 ads and pay 5 times. Doing what you want here may require either manual billing on your side in commerce and manual ad handling or customization of the software.

Of course, if you wish to see this in a future release, please leave your suggestion in our official Feature Suggestion forum.

45 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Hmm, not ideal.

Can I have custom ad placement?  Currently I place the ad in the top right Advertisement block.  https://www.pathlabtalk.com/forum/

If I sell that ad to several different customers, does the ad rotate equally among them?

Thanks 

When setting up an advertisement to sell in Commerce, you can specify which locations the ad will go to or utilize the custom locations which you have setup using the custom location template tag (see guide below):

Could contain: Page, Text, Pc, Electronics, Computer

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Thanks

I've been charging each advertiser something different, based on when they started advertising.

Can I create different ads, put an advertiser into them, then close that option to other customers?

You can make products available to certain member groups or invoice a customer and hide the product from view.