Change name of the main page

pathétique

Posted (edited)

Okay I figured it out, my question is do I need to do it this way though? Can I instead remove these and then change the site name in "ACP > Settings (gears icon) > SETTINGS > General Configuration > Site Name   cause I will never remember how I fixed it this way LOL

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Edited by Mediamage

The defined site name is not used in the spot. The translation of the word “Forums” is. So even though you made that variable your site name, it does not change the variable itself to use the same one you noted above. You’ll need to remember to translate the language. 

(You can cheat going forward and just search for “The Virtual Networking” to find the translated value as well instead of which forum language key.)

It looks like you're using a custom theme, in addition, if you have any third party applications/plugins, I would disable those when attempting this. If you have any browser add-ons/extensions, you may wish to disable those as well. Then you can try the easy translate feature again. Hopefully that will remove any errors.

8 hours ago, Mediamage said:

Okay I figured it out, my question is do I need to do it this way though? Can I instead remove these and then change the site name in "ACP > Settings (gears icon) > SETTINGS > General Configuration > Site Name   cause I will never remember how I fixed it this way LOL

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Unfortunately, those translation strings there are not related to the Site Name setting in ACP -> System -> General Configuration but rather just a name for the Forums Application. As you are wishing to change wherever we mention the application name "Forums" to your community's name, you will need to do this via translation strings.

7 hours ago, Jim M said:

It looks like you're using a custom theme, in addition, if you have any third party applications/plugins, I would disable those when attempting this. If you have any browser add-ons/extensions, you may wish to disable those as well. Then you can try the easy translate feature again. Hopefully that will remove any errors.

Unfortunately, those translation strings there are not related to the Site Name setting in ACP -> System -> General Configuration but rather just a name for the Forums Application. As you are wishing to change wherever we mention the application name "Forums" to your community's name, you will need to do this via translation strings.

I honestly don't know what these translation strings even do. Can you explain what each one does? What happens if I leave those strings blank? If I leave them blank could I just change it in the Site Name setting in ACP -> System -> General Configuration? I'd rather do that but didn't want to remove those strings and leave them blank. I suppose I could always add them again too if it doesn't work.

17 minutes ago, Mediamage said:

I honestly don't know what these translation strings even do. Can you explain what each one does? What happens if I leave those strings blank? If I leave them blank could I just change it in the Site Name setting in ACP -> System -> General Configuration? I'd rather do that but didn't want to remove those strings and leave them blank. I suppose I could always add them again too if it doesn't work.

Translation strings would change what the default definition is to what you want to change it to. For example, that string by default from us says “Forums” and you have changed it to the name of your community. 

As mentioned, the Site Name is not what this. It does not appear where on the front end you want this. If you removed your customization, you would just get “Forums” there on the forum index. 

On 6/8/2024 at 7:45 AM, Mediamage said:

Thanks so much everyone I finally got it all figured out and everyone's help was appreciated. I'm slowly learning. 😉

Good stuff! What ended up being the issue and how did you overcome it?