Subscriptions: Automatic Renewals

Go to solution Solved by opentype,

For the life of me I can't find any information on this. I am sure this is pretty simple.

I setup a subscription service on my site. How can I tell if a user will be auto-renewed when their subscription expires?

Nothing in the subscription plan shows anything that hints whether I can turn this on or off.

Thanks

A subscription continuous until cancelled by definition. So, you can only set the term. After the term is over, a new invoice will be created. (Automatic charging is an option that depends on the payment method)

A temporary access pass comes up as feature request from time to time but it is not a feature yet. 

2 minutes ago, opentype said:

A subscription continuous until cancelled by definition. So, you can only set the term. After the term is over, a new invoice will be created. (Automatic charging is an option that depends on the payment method)

A temporary access pass comes up as feature request from time to time but it is not a feature yet. 

I have PayPal and Stripe payment methods.

I don't see anything for auto-renewals on PayPal, but the Stripe has the "Save this card for future purchases and automatic renewals" checkbox.

Does that mean if they check that box they will get charged when their subscription expires?

Just want to get ahead of the curve if people get upset that they are auto-renewed as it doesn't seem very clear if it will auto-renew.

Also, doing some testing I am curious how users were able to renew for one year within the system. I noticed there are some that did their original year and then renewed for a year. 

However, when I tried it with a test account, I do not see the option to renew.

Did they do a double click when they paid? Not sure how else it would have happened.

• Solution

First, we need to be clear about words. Auto-renewal is just the process of starting subscription term after subscription term by issuing a new invoice unless the subscription is cancelled. That is true for all IPS subscriptions. There is no way to turn that off. 

Auto-charging is linked to the payment method. For Stripe, the card details can be saved and Stripe will then charge the cards, for PayPal there is the option of activating Billing Agreements, which does the same. If those options aren’t forced or not chosen by the user, then just an invoice will be created and the users have to manually pay for the next term. They have a certain amount of time for that around the date of the expiration. So, you will not always see the option to renew. 

Edited by opentype