Export Theme with media

Platform:  4.6.10

Self hosted

-TESTINSTALL instance

When a theme is exported, we get the XML file that purports to represent the theme.

Before the export, the theme is customized and icons are uploaded to dress up features of the theme (banners, icons for forums, etc..)  Those media files are uploaded.

However, what is the technique to extract (export) the theme such that we know which files to collect up so we can re-deploy the same theme (with the media files that belong with the theme) after a clean upgrade.

For instance, as a test, I updated the icon used to decorate a Forum category.

In the uploads folder I see it:

uploads/monthly_2022_03$  ls
f_icon.png.103b7b52a961545a79c4a1a4c2d078dc.png  index.html

The file originally was `f_icon.png`   The engine provided a ID suffix.  In the exported Theme XML, I don't see reference to either the name (f_icon) or the ID 103b7b52a961545a79c4a1a4c2d078dc in the downloaded XML.

Suppose I uploaded a whole collection of media files (and took the care to prefix their names with `foo`)  then, I could essentially "find" then in the uploads, however the fact that the engine constructs a key ID for each media file makes me worried that when the time comes to re-upgrade fresh-slate, I will have no correlation between the XML exported for the Theme and the media files that belong to the Theme.

What's the best practice to:

1. Export the theme

2. Gather up the media files that were uploaded to serve the purpose of that theme

If such a kit can be made, then I assume I can just Import that preserved Theme when the time comes for the fresh-install-upgrade. 

Edited by sibomots

Hello,

The "export theme feature" will only export files which are uploaded using the "Manage Resources" area of your theme. Any theme related resources (js files, images, etc) should be uploaded there.

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 9.53.29 am.png

If you've assigned forum icons using the "Community > Forums > Edit > Icon" setting, it would probably be easiest to simply reupload those icons on your live site. Those icons are not exported with the theme. I believe the only other method would be to export your database and files, and migrate them from localhost to your live server (but it seems like you'd prefer to do a fresh install, so this option isn't ideal in that case).

I'm not sure if that helps to answer your question?

Hmm wait a sec.

If you've assigned forum icons using the "Community > Forums > Edit > Icon" setting, it would probably be easiest to simply reupload those icons on your live site. Those icons are not exported with the theme. I believe the only other method would be to export your database and files, and migrate them from localhost to your live server (but it seems like you'd prefer to do a fresh install, so this option isn't ideal in that case).

So, if I understand this.  I can upload from a local machine to the ACP icons (Forums>Edit>Icon), but I cannot set the Form>Edit>Icon setting from a Managed Resource icon?

Let me flip this question around:

Which CSS/Template file in the ACP Theme Editor (CSS/HTML view) specifies the icon used that I can set with Forums>Edit>Icon ?

Edited by sibomots

On 3/4/2022 at 1:48 PM, sibomots said:

Oops, nevermind.  Looks like it's class  ipsDataItem_main

Or at least in the vicinity.  forums.css, etc..   I'll poke around there. Thanks.

If you plan on editing any css code, make sure you only edit the custom.css file.

All other css files should stay untouched.