Automatic versus manual renewal settings

OptimusBain

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to do thia.

*** Charge a renewal price lower than the initial price ***

I see that in IPS marketplace the renewal invoices are always pending and will never be charged automatically on my PayPal account. I will have to pay them manually.

How can that be done? I mean, how can I disable automatic renewal payments. The invoice would be generated, then a reminder email would be sent to the member and he'd decide if he pays the invoice or not until the invoice expires.

At the moment, my renewals  are processed automatically. 

I know there is an issue with Commerce that prevents the system to use renewal prices different to the initial price. PayPal does allow this kind of l renewals because I have been doing it for almost 10 years now. 

Automatic renewals is a very important feature.

However, I am wondering how should I set up IPS to disable the automatic charges for the renewal invoices.

If the automatic renewals are disabled, will renewal prices different to the initial price be processed correctly?

Thanks a lot

It’s part of the payment service set up. It’s called Billing Agreement for Paypal. You can turn it off, force it to be on or make it a user-choice. 
I also have it turned off, but have it turned on for Stripe, which handles these things better. 

If you have active Billing Agreements, changing the mentioned setting will not touch existing renewals. PayPal will still try to process them. That’s part of the problem. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

It’s part of the payment service set up. It’s called Billing Agreement for Paypal. You can turn it off, force it to be on or make it a user-choice. 
I also have it turned off, but have it turned on for Stripe, which handles these things better. 

If you have active Billing Agreements, changing the mentioned setting will not touch existing renewals. PayPal will still try to process them. That’s part of the problem. 

I understood, thanks. Much appreciated. I didn't know that setting was there. I never had the need to use it since my PayPal payments were always processed correctly even with renewal prices being different to the initial price.

I don't really know what the problem with PayPal is because as I said, I've been using PayPal to handle automated payments with the renewal price being different to the initial price. It worked seamlessly for 9 years until I switched to IPS. I didn't even know there could be an issue with it after so many years of successful payments. So I am exploring alternatives, disabling the automated renewals is not a good idea though.