AWS Simple Email Service with Bounce Management

On 9/28/2021 at 5:59 AM, jesuralem said:

Hi there, do you have any idea if this app would work with this one :

I don't see why not but you never know 🙂

Unfortunately we have no way of knowing unless one of our clients who utilizes both apps can report their success.

However, we have built our app in a way that doesn’t “reinvent the wheel” but uses IPBs core email sending functionally. So unless some app took drastic measures to send email a different way, I’d imagine they play well together. 

7 hours ago, jesuralem said:

A quick idea : admins and moderators should be exempted from automatic bounces actions : if for some reason the mail server was to bounce for admins, admin accounts may be flagged as spammer or disabled which could end up in the ACP being unaccessible to anyone...

This would be very bad :).

Great idea. That would definitely be an issue!

Question, how are bounce and complaint logs filled? I never have any entries but also have prune settings set to 7 days, otherwise the outgoing log is too big. Is there a way to add separate prune settings for all three bounce logs?

image.thumb.png.38593262598cba9baf7993d31c421cbe.png

It would also be good to be able to search for an email address to check AWS bounce and complaint logs with IPS ACP.

41 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

Question, how are bounce and complaint logs filled? I never have any entries but also have prune settings set to 7 days, otherwise the outgoing log is too big. Is there a way to add separate prune settings for all three bounce logs?

image.thumb.png.38593262598cba9baf7993d31c421cbe.png

It would also be good to be able to search for an email address to check AWS bounce and complaint logs with IPS ACP.

Have you set them up using AWS’ SNS service? Directions are found in the app description. Every time AWS sends a notification to your IPB community, a log will be entered!

As for the prune settings and search functionality, no problem!

1 hour ago, Jon Erickson said:

Have you set them up using AWS’ SNS service? Directions are found in the app description. Every time AWS sends a notification to your IPB community, a log will be entered!

As for the prune settings and search functionality, no problem!

Yes, I think the issue is that I prune my settings every 7 days which applies to all logs, so if an email bounced last month, I have no way of searching it quickly via logs or a search. Thanks!

26 minutes ago, jesuralem said:

Funny stuff in my bounce log today :

image.thumb.png.7c9bd8478b81cf5da5d9a22e11ab1acf.png

The email is not a actual email.

Also i don't think you can set "guest" to validating :).

Most likely a spam bot without an account, posting a message, and then being sent the “continue registering…” email to the fake email address. Happens a lot!

Also the application will properly handle the bounce if the email is not an actual member account!

Edited by Jon Erickson
  • 3 months later...

I also came across an error on the "Outgoing Logs" (or default Logs) page at ?app=awsses&module=system&controller=logs.

Error: Call to undefined function IPS\awsses\modules\admin\system\imap_mime_header_decode() (0)
#0 /data/system/Helpers/Table/Db.php(442): IPS\awsses\modules\admin\system\_logs->IPS\awsses\modules\admin\system\{closure}()
#1 /data/system/Helpers/Table/Table.php(489): IPS\Helpers\Table\_Db->getRows()
#2 /data/system/Theme/Theme.php(860) : eval()'d code(1956): IPS\Helpers\Table\_Table->__toString()
#3 /data/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\class_core_admin_global->globalTemplate()
#4 /data/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(173): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call()
#5 /data/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(113): IPS\_Dispatcher->finish()
#6 /data/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(155): IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->finish()
#7 /data/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#8 {main}

Backtrace

#0 /data/init.php(1005): IPS\_Log::log()
#1 /data/system/Helpers/Table/Table.php(573): IPS\IPS::exceptionHandler()
#2 /data/system/Theme/Theme.php(860) : eval()'d code(1956): IPS\Helpers\Table\_Table->__toString()
#3 /data/system/Theme/SandboxedTemplate.php(61): IPS\Theme\class_core_admin_global->globalTemplate()
#4 /data/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(173): IPS\Theme\_SandboxedTemplate->__call()
#5 /data/system/Dispatcher/Standard.php(113): IPS\_Dispatcher->finish()
#6 /data/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(155): IPS\Dispatcher\_Standard->finish()
#7 /data/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#8 {main}

Entries in awsses_mail_logs

1	1642292499	0110017e6042d1a1-94f54a48-7ac6-41b1-8fcf-a0e260488e9d-000000	NULL	{"Destination":{"ToAddresses":["complaint@simulator.amazonses.com"]},"ReplyToAddresses":["forum@multitheftauto.com"],"Source":"=?UTF-8?B?TXVsdGkgVGhlZnQgQXV0bzogRm9ydW1z?= <forum@multitheftauto.com>","Message":{"Body":{"Text":{"Charset":"UTF-8","Data":"\n\n\n\nThis email confirms that your email settings are configured correctly.\n\n-----\n\n\n\n\nMulti Theft Auto: Forums"}},"Subject":{"Charset":"UTF-8","Data":"Test Email"}},"ConfigurationSet":""}	NULL
2	1642292504	0110017e6042e6b5-6ff0b16a-3d13-42f2-ab4e-91a96192a25c-000000	NULL	{"Destination":{"ToAddresses":["bounce@simulator.amazonses.com"]},"ReplyToAddresses":["forum@multitheftauto.com"],"Source":"=?UTF-8?B?TXVsdGkgVGhlZnQgQXV0bzogRm9ydW1z?= <forum@multitheftauto.com>","Message":{"Body":{"Text":{"Charset":"UTF-8","Data":"\n\n\n\nThis email confirms that your email settings are configured correctly.\n\n-----\n\n\n\n\nMulti Theft Auto: Forums"}},"Subject":{"Charset":"UTF-8","Data":"Test Email"}},"ConfigurationSet":""}	NULL

After truncating awsses_mail_logs table, the error goes away and the Outgoing Logs page renders again.

Specs

Invision Community 4.6.9
Database 5.5.5-10.6.5-MariaDB-1:10.6.5+maria~focal
PHP 7.4.27
Redis Caching

Edited by darkdreamingdan
34 minutes ago, darkdreamingdan said:

Hi there!

It would be very helpful if you added a new bounce/complaint action: set recipient's allow_admin_mails to 0 a/k/a unsubscribe user from admin emails.

We send bulk mail sometimes and we need to currently manually unsubscribe these people from admin mails.

Great suggestion.

As for the error, you need to have the IMAP PHP extension enabled.

https://phpadvices.com/install-or-enable-imap-extension-in-php/

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, MediaDIGI.com said:

I have one AWS SES license and Im thinking to purchase another one for our second community.

But first I would like to know how the bounce management is done? If one address bounces then the member will no longer receive anymore messages?

Every time SES recognizes a bounce, it will send a notification to your community utilizing the API. You can then choose what is done when one is encountered. There is a list of different options include setting their status so they no longer receive emails. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

If you are a Cloud customer and use this application

Please do not upgrade your community to 4.7 unless you disable this application first. Your community will be unusable after upgrading. The author is aware of the issue and will hopefully have an update available soon.

I am not aware of this issue. Can you elaborate or send me a PM? Thanks. 

@Stuart Silvester just saw your email. Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...