Move the entire board to a new server

Hey guys,

where do I find instructions how to move the board to a new server ? Do you just upload the files to the new server and  setup a database with the same name ? Is there a CHMOD list for the different directories ? You guys see I have a few questions - haven't done it for a few years so I don't remember and maybe things have changed since then 😄

Thanks for your help in forward.

HP

1 minute ago, hpcrazy said:

Hey guys,

where do I find instructions how to move the board to a new server ? Do you just upload the files to the new server and  setup a database with the same name ? Is there a CHMOD list for the different directories ? You guys see I have a few questions - haven't done it for a few years so I don't remember and maybe things have changed since then 😄

Thanks for your help in forward.

HP

Have a look at this guide. 

OK - thanks for that. Thats really helpful 🙂

Step 2 - Your new hosting

1. Create a new database
  2. Restore your backup from the above steps to the new database you have just created
  3. Upload your files and folder, which you backed up from your old server
  4. Ensure any folders which should be writable, remain writable on your new server. The folders which should be writable by the software are as follows

applications
    datastore
    plugins
    uploads recursively (all contents)

Means which permission code ?

@hpcrazy, apart from all the info needed to do that, please also pay attention to this little detail, that the people who moved mine didn't, and I'm still tidying up all the emojis lost.

If you use Emojis on your site, that means your character set in your database is utf8mb4. So, it's not enough with setting the database in the new server to that as well. Make sure the mysqldump to which the database backup is made in the old server is ut8mb4 as well, because sadly the mysqldump default still is UTF8, and this is a detail easy to overlook.

Not knowing this, when my migration was done, I simply tested the emojis by typing a few new ones, and that worked (because the character set in the new server was correctly set to ut8mb4). Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to check the existing emojis, and 3 months later I noticed they all were showing as a question mark instead (except for those created after the migration). Lost never to be recovered. Anyway, maybe you are on top of this, but it may come in handy to know by those with little knowledge of migrations like myself. Cheers.

Edited by PPlanet

Hey PPlanet,

that information was really useful. My backup software lets me select UTF8 or Unicode for the backup. So you would recommend that I select Unicode ?

@all - does anybody has the CHMOD information for the directories ? I saw some are set on 755

44 minutes ago, hpcrazy said:

Hey PPlanet,

that information was really useful. My backup software lets me select UTF8 or Unicode for the backup. So you would recommend that I select Unicode ?

No, you need utf8mb4 if you already have tables with that Collation. For example a few tables of my database, where the collation is utf8mb4_unicode_ci

771219340_ScreenShot2021-01-19at9_09_47am.thumb.png.37c91959ead26d71a1eabf6b4de63dfd.png

I believe you'll need to dump a copy of your database using the terminal instead of the dropdown options you mean.

See the links below. BUT please seek someone else's advice as I can only warn of what happened to me, but that doesn't mean I really know how to do it myself.

https://gist.github.com/attilahorvath/f83596970d9f50cd5a83

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17311135

Again, please check with someone with migration experience before going ahead. Cheers.

Edited by PPlanet