Group Promotions

I obviously don't understand how group promotions work.  I have a paid site.  People can join and get a free 60 day membership.  After 60 days, they can still read the forum but not post.  I had it setup that way in VBulletin but haven't figured it out yet for IPB.

I renamed the members group to trial members.  I then set up a group promotion with the only criteria being "join day 60 days or longer ago".  Then set it to move them to the expired members group.  If they subscribe before then, they are automatically removed to the supporting members group.  

Seemed simple enough but hasn't done anything.  I went to system tasks and manually ran "promotions" but still nothing.  Is that the task that should have moved them to the other group?

So the rule looks fine. If they are a member Trial Member they are moved to test however I'm not seeing the "time frame" for member joined.

Regardless, IIRC promotion actions for accounts aren't triggered unless there is a change to the account (logging in, logging out, post count update etc). You can forcibly trigger this for existing users by recounting the post counts for the existing users.

The members were primarily imported from VBulletin when I changed over.  Perhaps the join dates didn't get imported?  Also, it has nothing to do with post counts, only join date so how would recounting post help? and if so, how do I recount them?

hmmm...I just went to groups and looked at the members of Test Members.  The join dates are all there.  You say that you aren't seeing the time frame, I'm not sure what you mean.

Edited by Dknelson

OK, I will try that.  BUT, this is a cron task, it' supposed to run without the user action.   If I have to do that, there are over 900 trial members.  About half are past the 60 days, I would have to manually trigger about 500 one at a time.  😞

Morrigan,

You are correct in that any action triggers the move.  I did what you suggested and recounted the posts and it immediately moves them to the expired members group.  I can live with that but wish there was a way to move them automatically.  I am using the cron method and I guess I don't understand what it is telling me.  I take it to mean that it will move them when run.  Maybe it's not setup to run, I don't know.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 6.18.09 AM.png

Even with the Cron it will not trigger the member save action. That's why I had you run the post count update. That forced every member to be re-saved which means that the group promotions ran for each member as it updated their post count.

This means group promotions runs on login, on logout, when they update their profile, when they post etc.

Edited by Morrigan