Broken Emojis

PPlanet

Last June 17th my site was moved to a different server. Only now I notice that all emojis that existed before that date show as a question mark (and no matter what emoji it was; looking at the code it says https://twemoji.maxcdn.com/2/72x72/3f.png which is a file it does not exist).

All emojis posted after that date are fine.

Is there a way to fix this?

What will have happened here is that the database dump was generated with the wrong character set (one that isn't utf8mb4). This will have corrupted the 4-byte characters in the data, which is why you see a question mark instead.

There isn't any way to fix this except for reverting to an earlier backup where the characters are not corrupt. However, due to the nature of this, it's likely that your backups may also have the same issue.

7 minutes ago, Stuart Silvester said:

What will have happened here is that the database dump was generated with the wrong character set (one that isn't utf8mb4). This will have corrupted the 4-byte characters in the data, which is why you see a question mark instead.

There isn't any way to fix this except for reverting to an earlier backup where the characters are not corrupt. However, due to the nature of this, it's likely that your backups may also have the same issue.

Thanks Stuart. I thought this had no cure at this stage. I guess I'll edit them manually as I bump across them.