Using Promote Group

So first off, by default once the person is validated (depending on your validation method) they are automatically placed into a standard "Members" group. Before they are validated they are queued to either be approved or deleted depending on validation settings.

If you want to move them to a new group immediately after they are validated you just need to add a group promotion rule that you leave everything default except the "move group" setting which you choose what group you want them to get.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:24 PM, Morrigan said:

So first off, by default once the person is validated (depending on your validation method) they are automatically placed into a standard "Members" group. Before they are validated they are queued to either be approved or deleted depending on validation settings.

If you want to move them to a new group immediately after they are validated you just need to add a group promotion rule that you leave everything default except the "move group" setting which you choose what group you want them to get.

So I had a member recently validated and it didn't work. I used the settings you mentioned and they stayed in the member group instead of being moved into the group I selected. Any idea? Does it go into effect immediately or take time to run it?

8 hours ago, Morrigan said:

You likely have other rules that are taking precedent. It will always run the last rule in the list that works.

I don't have any other group promotion rules set. Do I have to enable the group promotions within the groups for it to work?

If you are completely disallowing it, yes.

So on the standard "Members" group you need to have this enabled:

image.png.411a7cdd12803c44e4dc0d67cda82d43.png

Basically:

Group setting must be enabled on the default members group.

Promotion must be set to change the group (second to last setting in group promotions) and it should trigger.

On 4/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, Morrigan said:

If you are completely disallowing it, yes.

So on the standard "Members" group you need to have this enabled:

image.png.411a7cdd12803c44e4dc0d67cda82d43.png

Basically:

Group setting must be enabled on the default members group.

Promotion must be set to change the group (second to last setting in group promotions) and it should trigger.

I tried this and it put all my current members into this new group instead of validation ones. What did I do wrong?

I guess perhaps we're not on the same page here. I made an assumption and it appears to have been the wrong one.

When a user registers they are not fully registered until they are validated (meaning they have no real group until their account is validated) and they are put into the default members group (which I thought starting this, was your validation group like they join the site and you make sure their posts are okay or whatever). Promotion rules are intended to move groups or add/remove secondary groups based on the criteria.

If you need a group between Validating and full member you need your default members group to be that group and promote them out of that group into another group.