255 Post Limit Upgrade?

Cowboy Denny

Is there anyway possible to upgrade the post limitation to more than 255?

When I go to ACP - Settings - Posting and try and change Maximum title length to more than 255 I get yelled at.

Its super difficult for me to try and break up 4770 words...  just looking for some help.

It appears that the 255 character limitation applies to all posts no matter if its Articles, Blogs or Forums I run into the same issue.

8 minutes ago, DJ ZAh said:

Is there anyway possible to upgrade the post limitation to more than 255?

When I go to ACP - Settings - Posting and try and change Maximum title length to more than 255 I get yelled at.

Its super difficult for me to try and break up 4770 words...  just looking for some help.

It appears that the 255 character limitation applies to all posts no matter if its Articles, Blogs or Forums I run into the same issue.

255 characters is the limitation of Varchar in Mysql. That is why titles (in most PHP software) are limited to 255 chars long.

I honestly don't think this will change any time soon, (unless the developers want to start using TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT and LONGTEXT) but in all honesty that would be a waste of resources and would drastically increase your database size.

Googles recommends or generally uses around 50-60 of your title and will cut off the rest if any longer than that. Personally, if you are using more than 255 chars for a title, then they are far too long.

https://cognitiveseo.com/blog/22796/seo-friendly-title-tags-best-practices/#6

You could create another Text field in Articles for Sub-titles, and this would allow you to use more than 255 chars and keep your titles shorter and therefore more readable for your readers.

On 2/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, DJ ZAh said:

Okay thanks..  I didn't mean I wanted to use more than 255 as a title but the actual post itself.  I have a bit of a story I wanted to share on my site but I can't wrap the story up in 255 characters or less so was looking for a way to post more than 255 as an article or a blog or a forum post.

Can you clarify your problem? 

The setting you referenced in the original post is for the topic title.  The topic content can be several thousand words. 

Archived