Bulk email speed

Philooo

Hi again to Invision crew

I have around 30.000 membrers in my community.
I began to send Bulk Emails  (newsletter) to little groups of members (500 members) to check the delivery, the bounces etc ....
I noticed that 500 emails are sent in approx. 1 mn. It makes near 10 emails per second.

Is there a way to REDUCE this velocity otherwise than by cutting recipients in small groups ? There are two reasons for this request :

- IP reputation, of course : sending 30.000 emails per hour is not very good for IP reputation and the datacenter will probably do not like this also
- Smoothing in time the affluence on the community. I do not want thousands of members coming on the website at the same hour. I would prefer they come gradually, over several hours

Many thanx

You can put a custom value in constants.php if you want.

\define( 'BULK_MAILS_PER_CYCLE', 30 );

It doesn’t sent 30,000 mails per hour though. A chunk of mails (I believe 500) is sent through an automatic task, so 30,000 mails are easily spread out over a day or so. 

If you use postfix to send your emails, you can fine tune the sending rate with parameters like :

default_destination_concurrency_limit 	= 2
default_destination_rate_delay 		= 5s
default_extra_recipient_limit 		= 3

18 hours ago, opentype said:

You can put a custom value in constants.php if you want.

\define( 'BULK_MAILS_PER_CYCLE', 30 );

It doesn’t sent 30,000 mails per hour though. A chunk of mails (I believe 500) is sent through an automatic task, so 30,000 mails are easily spread out over a day or so. 

Unfortunately that will not do what @Philooo is looking for. That constant is for reducing the amount of emails done per batch, but doesn't control how frequently batches are done (each task run does as many batches as it can before timing out) - if you reduce it, it will just run more batches in the same amount of time. 

All of the constants are explained in init.php:

// Maximum number of emails per batch
				// Note: changing this will have very little practical effect because the batches will just
				// get processed quicker - turning it down won't allow you to workaround server limitation
				// about how many emails can get sent. It's just to prevent sending more data to the email
				// server than it can handle in one go.
				// Has no effect on some email handlers (Sendgrid and IPS Cloud Email) which override this
				// with their own specific limits.

Archived