Add UploadMedia form field helper

KT Walrus

The Plupload Queue Widget is a perfect interface for uploading large files like videos.

Please consider implementing a new Form Field Helper for uploading Media (photos & videos) using the Plupload Queue Widget. It should be very simple to code since the suite already uses Plupload to upload attachments.

Please make the helper as mobile friendly as possible as users are probably going to upload videos directly from their mobile devices. Also, add an "Edit Filenames" button to the "Add Files" and "Start Upload" action buttons. This would allow the user to set a more friendly filename for the uploaded video or photo.

488439040_ScreenShot2019-02-12at11_42_30AM.thumb.png.a1ba8eac249a84cd5dfa02f2153e32e3.png

Our existing uploader approach essentially does the exact same thing, except instead of queuing and requiring an extra click on "Start upload", the files begin uploading immediately.

What from the page you linked to would you consider an improvement or better functionality, specifically?

On 2/13/2019 at 7:35 AM, bfarber said:

Our existing uploader approach essentially does the exact same thing, except instead of queuing and requiring an extra click on "Start upload", the files begin uploading immediately.

What from the page you linked to would you consider an improvement or better functionality, specifically?

The biggest improvement would be that after uploading a big file, you wouldn't try to download a thumbnail to show in the editor. I tried uploading a 200MB video file with the current uploader from my iPhone and it wasn't a good experience. This was with 4.3.6 (not the 4.4 beta). 

Also, a big win for uploading larger files is the user controls when the uploads start. This Queue Widget is a much better UX, IMHO. They can upload 4 or 5 videos at a time by queuing them within the uploader and press "Start upload" when they want the uploads to begin. Same goes for multiple photos (uploaded from my iPhone - photos are pretty large files if you allow uploading the original images). Much better I think to queue the uploads and start them all at once (especially on 3G/4G networks).

I'm adding support for Cloudflare Video Streams on my site. This will require the users to upload their video files first. I plan to then run Zencoder over the uploaded files to transcode them before uploading to Cloudflare for streaming to the viewers. This requires that I provide an efficient uploader (which I've already prototyped using the Plupload Queue Widget and this seems to work well - at least from my iPhone/Mac).

BTW, I see that Plupload has the option to resize photos client-side and rename files before they are uploaded (I think). The Queue Widget could give the user the ability to change the default settings before uploading (or, if ICS4 doesn't already support it, to add ACP settings for resizing/renaming client-side).

Archived