Show Linked Topics - a la Discourse

christopher-w

Hey Folks, 

A couple of years back, before they changed it, Discourse used to show detailed cross referenced thread info in the main topic body and right hand gutter of a thread.  It showed which threads were mentioned in the current topic and comments, and also showed the reverse - which threads mentioned the current topic or its  comments.

See below.

image.thumb.png.1f7069f248d69e6993c369d6eb30385c.png

It was a fabulous feature and although I haven't shown this above, also rendered the same links in comments, allowing an intricate web to be woven. 

For quick fire forums I guess it would be of little use, but for more in depth forums having this ability would be great.

I mocked up similar this morning using IPSRules Application - just a simple object allowing the user to select referenced threads (see red text). It's not automatic or as visual as the Discourse solution used to be, but it works.

image.thumb.png.9663e2c1fed7e90f942f07af7ce866fe.png

Be great to see if this could be integrated into core - not my hack above, but as deployed by Discourse.

I'd be interested in part sponsoring a plugin or app. should a top quality 3rd party dev be interested in discussing.

Many thanks

Chris

Thank you @Joel R

I thought I'd seen all the 4.3 compatible plugins - missed that one though. I will speak to @Fosters - we are working on something else together already.

Here's how Discourse handles the posters meta. They put it at the bottom of the Topic, hidden under a reveal. Works well I think. You can also see the time line thingy on the right. This replaced the in and out indicators mentioned earlier.

image.thumb.png.f1dd9d5a65fa41e39912bb6df2ada130.png

Archived