Blogs for Certain Members

Pyrotechnic

I want to allow the blog feature on my forum but I only want a handful of members to be able to create them. I see that I can set the permissions with the relevant member groups for who is allowed to start and view blogs, but within this group I have over 400 members. I only want to allow around 5 members in this group to create them. 

I cant see a way to allow individual members to create a blog. Am I correct in thinking that the best way would be to create a secondary group, lets say "bloggers" and then add this group as a secondary group to those members I wish to allow blogging, or is there another way ?

Any advice appreciated. ?

I cant see a way to allow individual members to create a blog. Am I correct in thinking that the best way would be to create a secondary group, lets say "bloggers" and then add this group as a secondary group to those members I wish to allow blogging

Yes, that's exactly the way to do it :)

4 minutes ago, Pyrotechnic said:

Is there any advantage or disadvantage of having a secondary group?

The advantages are what you're about to exploit; the ability to bestow upon certain members of a broader group privileges that the group itself doesn't have. I haven't noticed any disadvantages myself, though I suppose there's a risk of ending up with so many secondary groups that they become difficult to manage. But I suspect you're unlikely to have so many permutations that you would need an unwieldy number of groups.

This particular member group, around 400 members all have a common interest. However, several of them have asked to document a training course they are to undertake over a 12 week period. If I give the whole group permissions, some will start the blog and some will give up which will defeat the object. There are a few that have said they will see it through and its these members I want to allow to create a blog. Ideally if other members of the group then decide over the coming years to do the same, I can simply give them permission to do so. Hope that puts a little more context onto what I am hoping to achieve ?

Archived