Follow-up to users who have reported posts

rllmukforum

When moderators take action on a report, they are able to leave a note to moderators and the person on the receiving end of the action. The person who made the report does not receive anything, requiring moderators to start a PM conversation.

It would allow for a more efficient process, and better user experience, if the reporter could be informed at the time a report is closed out (i.e., no action), or if specific action was taken (perhaps a third text box on the warn screen).

8 minutes ago, rllmukforum said:

When moderators take action on a report, they are able to leave a note to moderators and the person on the receiving end of the action. The person who made the report does not receive anything, requiring moderators to start a PM conversation.

It would allow for a more efficient process, and better user experience, if the reporter could be informed at the time a report is closed out (i.e., no action), or if specific action was taken (perhaps a third text box on the warn screen).

I'm not so sure about this. In general, a policy of "Your report has been received. We will review it and take any actions deemed necessary. Thank you." And leave it at that should be sufficient. Why would the person who reported the content need any indication that the report went anywhere other than that staff received it? Personally, and on many community sites in general, only the Staff should have access to anything regarding a report. If the staff decide to take action or issue a warning, it should be between the staff and the user being warned.

Though I suppose this would depend on your privacy rules, your community policy, and how you think it should be handled. May be better as a 3rd party application or plugin.

I actually appreciate it when Twitter sends me an email advising a specific report led to action taken. We have developed a similar expectation from our users, but it's also born of moderation being a black box in general. Only moderators see if a post led to a warn, only mods see if a post is reported (leading to duplicate reports, and so on. Maybe it's a question of trust in the system. Applying the 80/20 rule, I can see how this is likely an outlier case for many communities, but moderators on our forum have requested it.

I think, at the very least, the post in question indicating that action was taken is useful, even if it's not my original request here. It sets a clear precedent for what isn't acceptable, per the forum's rules.

2 hours ago, rllmukforum said:

I actually appreciate it when Twitter sends me an email advising a specific report led to action taken. We have developed a similar expectation from our users, but it's also born of moderation being a black box in general. Only moderators see if a post led to a warn, only mods see if a post is reported (leading to duplicate reports, and so on. Maybe it's a question of trust in the system. Applying the 80/20 rule, I can see how this is likely an outlier case for many communities, but moderators on our forum have requested it.

I think, at the very least, the post in question indicating that action was taken is useful, even if it's not my original request here. It sets a clear precedent for what isn't acceptable, per the forum's rules.

I could see that, and I honestly wasn't aware of Twitter's view on it.

I like this idea. I've often heard feedback that people have stopped reporting content because they don't get any sort of indication it actually went anywhere. Partly that's on the mod teams and admins not having time to reply individually to follow up and provide closure - if there was an optional way to do that on some (but maybe not required for all) reports, that would be helpful to streamline communication.

Archived