Random image sorting is not really random

jair101

I was very excited that we finally have random image sorting. It is not valid for all feeds, like I hoped, but it is at least something. Turned out my joy was premature, because the random sorting feature is basic at best. 

First of all, it doesn't seem random at all, maybe just the first image is selected randomly and if you have feed of more then one, then the remaining images are the consecutive of the first one. Let me rephrase that, if you have 10 images: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and you want 3 random from them it won't pick 1,6,4, but it seems it will pick 2,3,4 or 7,8,9, etc.

Second of all, even though the gallery category I am pulling from is big (around 800 pictures), it always seems to select no more then 20-30 from them. 

Here is an example, out of 700 pictures, with various dates for 4 years, what are the odds of selecting three that are from 23rd and 24th of January 2014 (януари = January):

chrome_2017-08-21_22-15-36.png

Another refresh few minutes later, again two consecutive images, somewhat a third truly random one sneaked up here:

chrome_2017-08-21_22-17-56.png

Another example, three pictures from the same day:

chrome_2017-08-21_22-25-40.png

I can spend one hour and I will probably post all the images that come out from the "Random" ordering, as I said they are not more then 30 out of 800 available. There is something really wrong with the random sorting. 

Archived