How to rename forums

Steph Jensen

In my head, and from what i hear from others, the word "forum" is an instant turnoff for many.
This is a shame, because IPS is so much more than that. I am trying to market/lure users in, with the blog, and clubs/groups features, but the Forums are still there, "tasting ugly".

I'd love to change what "Forums" is called, all across the site (jsut call them "discussions"), but this should be everywhere, including the url, settings etc.

Is there a good/easy way to do this?

2 minutes ago, Steph Jensen said:

@sweethoney thanks! But i do like the feature, just not calling it Forums.
It might be nitpicking and i might drop the idea if it is too complicated, but i'm just nervous that the thought of "one more forum" might scare new users away. Calling it "Discussions" might soften the first encounter just enough

theres 2 way to do this

the first way you can remove it from the header witch this is the codes for

.ipsPageHeader{ display: none; }

paste in the css theme you are using

other way go to your theme and go to forum fronts ---index and change

look fo that and change the forums name

<h1 class='ipsType_pageTitle'>
		{lang="forums"}
	</h1>
</div>

Just now, jair101 said:

You can edit it in your language pack. Go there, make a copy of the english language, search for all strings containing forums (there are quite a bit of them!) and rename at will. 

LOL - i was actually looking at that when i got your notification. Will give it a try, thanks!
Hopefully i can download a CSV file and do a find&replace for all Forum, forum, Forums, forums

4 minutes ago, Steph Jensen said:

LOL - i was actually looking at that when i got your notification. Will give it a try, thanks!
Hopefully i can download a CSV file and do a find&replace for all Forum, forum, Forums, forums

You can download it in xml, but I think doing it in ACP is much easier. The original string is always hardcoded, you can add your own "translation", but it is separate string, you can't simply replace the original. If you really want to do a hack job, I guess you can directly do the replacement it in the database, but I definitely do not recommend that as something might break :) 

I couldn't download the copied english language, so i'm sticking to doing it in the admin CP. 12 pages of strings to be changed, related to forums, so it's not too bad. Thanks for the help!

I think you're right that i should leave the url as it is, because i'd risk breaking too much. Thanks again for pointing me to the right direction!

@Meddysong can you explain or link to more info about this?

I have managed to "rebrand" forums to discussions in the front end, but the site still uses the standard url that include /forums/

If i click on that pencil icon and change the /forums/ part of the url to /discussions/ would that be enough to do what i am looking for?

I would suggest that you don't change the furl. First of all, that furl changer in ACP is buggy, there is a topic around here about it.

Second of all, I am not sure changing that will cause forums to redirect to discussions, the net effect will be that you will lose all google indexed content, all external links pointing to your community, etc. Please make sure that you have proper redirection from /forums to /discusssions before you do that. Becides, your members don't care about the url anyway, only search engines care about it and you will piss them off by changing it, 

Archived