Several questions about developer mode

MacDee

I'm new to IPS and trying to figure out how to use developer mode.

1. It's a bad idea to run dev mode on production server so I have to run a copy on my dev machine.

Can I use the same license to install it? Will it not be treated like double installation or something?

2. After making changes to the app and rebuilding it how do I transfer the new version to the production machine?

Will simply replacing the app files be enough or maybe it also does changes to DB like storing compiled js or something?...

3. Do I understand it correctly that I do not need the "dev" folders for those apps that I do not intend to make changes to?

1. Use your normal license key with -TESTINSTALL on the end. So if your license key was "123-456-789" you would enter "123-456-789-TESTINSTALL".
  2. If it's an app you're developing, you'll go to AdminCP -> Applications and click the "Download" button for the app (it only shows once developer mode is enabled) - this will prompt you first to build the application, which will create all the upgrade routines, and then download a file you can upload to the live site and run through the upgrader. For built-in apps, you'll need to make your changes through a plugin which you'll download and install on your live site in the same way.
  3. You need the developer files for all installed applications as once you're in developer mode it will load resources directly from them (which is one of the reasons why you shouldn't use it on a live site - it's slow).

I think on #2 they mean how do they get the configuration from their TESTINSTALL over to the production site? Things like custom CSS, where widgets are ordered, etc.

I've wondered this myself, what is the best way to do this to avoid as much as possible having to redo the configurations manually.

Thanks for the reply!

2. I've tried to make changes to built-in apps and rebuild them and it works, no problem. So I can just go to production machine, turn on dev mode for a minute, apply changes, rebuild and turn it off. So why plugin? Only because I will have problems if I ever wish to update? Or is there any other reason?

3. But I'm not going to run it in dev mode, I just don't have dev folders for all the installed apps, there are tens of them there... As I understand from your reply, apps without dev folders will not work with dev mode enabled? Is it right? But I can still modify and rebuild other apps, then turn dev mode off and test the result, right?

23 hours ago, Joy Rex said:

I think on #2 they mean how do they get the configuration from their TESTINSTALL over to the production site? Things like custom CSS, where widgets are ordered, etc.

I've wondered this myself, what is the best way to do this to avoid as much as possible having to redo the configurations manually.

I would suggest that you keep your development site on your production server (If you have enough resources) and create a development sub-domain. If you have a File-manager in your control panel, just copy the files and folders from your main domain over to your developer sub-domain. If you want to copy your 'files and folders' from your production website, I would suggest that you use your file manager to compress all the 'files and folders' in the 'public_html or www folder' to a single RAR file, and then download straight to your hard drive.

You can also archive and download using a tool called WinSCP and that will give you the ability to do the same. Don't simply try to copy everything over using a FTP program, it will take you hours and fill you with frustration when the connection keeps dropping ;).

To copy your Database over, I would suggest you use a program called 'Heidi' or something similar which would allow you to copy your database over different servers easily. Basically, you add both your database servers to the connection settings (You may need to add your IP address to the Remote MySQL settings in your control panel) and once you have done this, click on the Database you wish to export (On the side panel) and select 'Export Database as SQL'.  In the new window, choose your development database server within the Output 'Pulldown menu' and click export. I wouldn't suggest that you DON'T use PHPMyAdmin, unless you want a world of hurt and spare your Cat even more pain!

Of course, the purist in you could always use Putty or Console commands ;)

Once you have done this, you will have to change your settings in config_global.php to reflect the new url, database settings and any other passwords etc. Sometimes I have noticed that there could be hard coded urls or path still lurking about in your posts and topics, so you might have to search your 'development' database and do some replacing (Create a backup before you do this, just in case you mess things up).

I have found this to be the easiest method of moving servers around, without using terminal cli etc.

NB Moderators and Admins: Hopefully it is okay to give out details of third party applications?  I assume that it is, since they are not in direct competition with you?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2017 at 10:34 AM, TDBF said:

I would suggest that you keep your development site on your production server (If you have enough resources) and create a development sub-domain. If you have a File-manager in your control panel, just copy the files and folders from your main domain over to your developer sub-domain. If you want to copy your 'files and folders' from your production website, I would suggest that you use your file manager to compress all the 'files and folders' in the 'public_html or www folder' to a single RAR file, and then download straight to your hard drive.

You can also archive and download using a tool called WinSCP and that will give you the ability to do the same. Don't simply try to copy everything over using a FTP program, it will take you hours and fill you with frustration when the connection keeps dropping ;).

To copy your Database over, I would suggest you use a program called 'Heidi' or something similar which would allow you to copy your database over different servers easily. Basically, you add both your database servers to the connection settings (You may need to add your IP address to the Remote MySQL settings in your control panel) and once you have done this, click on the Database you wish to export (On the side panel) and select 'Export Database as SQL'.  In the new window, choose your development database server within the Output 'Pulldown menu' and click export. I wouldn't suggest that you DON'T use PHPMyAdmin, unless you want a world of hurt and spare your Cat even more pain!

Of course, the purist in you could always use Putty or Console commands ;)

Once you have done this, you will have to change your settings in config_global.php to reflect the new url, database settings and any other passwords etc. Sometimes I have noticed that there could be hard coded urls or path still lurking about in your posts and topics, so you might have to search your 'development' database and do some replacing (Create a backup before you do this, just in case you mess things up).

I have found this to be the easiest method of moving servers around, without using terminal cli etc.

NB Moderators and Admins: Hopefully it is okay to give out details of third party applications?  I assume that it is, since they are not in direct competition with you?

That's what I've done... so you're saying once I've gotten the dev site configured and tweaked to my liking, I can just copy over the files to the production domain (assuming after I upgrade Production to the latest IPS) and the changes carry over with no need to go in and edit anything?

What about in the database where the dev subdomain is referenced? Surely that would need to be changed, right?

It would be helpful if IPS had notes on where all the references to the config paths, etc. are located to take into account when updating from a development site...

Archived