Mobile Landingpage

Eupolemos

Hello - I was wondering if anyone knows, if it is possible to make a separate landing-page for users connecting with a smartphone or tablet?

My site, aimed at my nation's university-students, looks fine from a laptop or battlestation, but it is an ungodly Wall of Text if I use a smartphone. I'm really worried that new users, casually checking out my site on a smarthone when they hear of it, will be scared off.

I'm contemplating making a dedicated, icon-based landingpage for smartphones. I just have no idea how or if it is even possible.

8 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

There is functionality within the CSS framework to show and hide content depending on the screen size. What you could do is wrap the relevant elements with these tags to change what gets displayed in different situations: 

So, you could create a landing page within a template and then wrap it with the mobile tags whilst using other tags to exclude the aforementioned Wall of Text, to give mobile users only the landing page?

20 hours ago, Simon Woods said:

So, you could create a landing page within a template and then wrap it with the mobile tags whilst using other tags to exclude the aforementioned Wall of Text, to give mobile users only the landing page?

You don't even need to go so far as using a template. Just manually create a page in Pages which you intend to be your default page. With a manual page you need to use HTML, so wrap certain divs with the appropriate tags and you can choose what will and won't display depending on screen size.

@Eupolemos: There's a theme setting "Show sidebar on mobile?", which might be handy for you. You can find it under Customization > Themes > pencil icon > Custom.

Archived