Disabled Applications

TDBF

When disabling an application via the ACP, the application is removed from the admin menu. I propose that this needs changed.

I feel that when a application is disabled, this should only affect the front-end and not the admin area. Sometimes it is necessary to set up an application before switching it to be live, and no, turning it on and giving it admin only privileges will not work in some cases.

For Example: Switching to another menu system will leave you without a 'menu' on a live website until you have set it up. This isn't really good tbh.

I propose that disabling an application should only be disabled front-end and not the back-end and the application accessible via the admin menu.

Regards,

3 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

You can set the application offline and allow only administrators to access it

As I stated above, doing this doesn't always work, especially with the example given above.

If I add another menu system to replace the default one and do what you suggest, I cannot add menu items and change settings because I cannot access the application admin area. I can change it's permission, make it default but I cannot access anything else to do with that application.

I have done what you suggested, but I still do not have access to that application admin GUI. I cannot add menu items or change settings as it is disabled in the admin area.

1 hour ago, TDBF said:

For Example: Switching to another menu system will leave you without a 'menu' on a live website until you have set it up. This isn't really good tbh.

Could you please clarify what you mean with this? We're using and checking module permissions, so if only administrators are allowed to use the app, they should see the menu tab in the frontend.

4 minutes ago, R-023 said:

You can set the members premission off, then only the admin have access to the application and it's gone for members on the front side. 

The system is good as it is in my opinion with this.

Thanks for you answer ^_^

I already know this, but but in the case I have mentioned above, this will not work.

I want to replace the default menu with another one, but in order to do that I have to enable the new application before I can create new menu's and change settings. This means while I am doing that my members do not have access to any menus. If I do what you suggest, my member will have no menu system available to them. As activating the new menu system disables the default one.

If I disable the new menu in the admin area (even if I set it to admin only) I have no access to the applications admin area to create new menu's.

I shouldn't lose an applications admin functionality (ACP) just because I disable it.

3 minutes ago, Daniel F said:

Could you please clarify what you mean with this? We're using and checking module permissions, so if only administrators are allowed to use the app, they should see the menu tab in the frontend.

Hi,

Maybe you could do this yourself and see the issue I am having here. ^_^

Download an alternative menu system, install it, set it to disabled and give yourself admin permissions. Now while the module is disabled, access its admin functionality in the ACP to create and modify add new menu's and once you are done, activate the new menu system to be the default one.

If I do what you are suggesting, the new menu system will become the default one, which only admins (groups) can only access too and my members will have no menu bar (until I have created them). It is a chicken and egg syndrome here. I can't make the new menu system live until I create the menus and settings, but I can't create the menus and change settings until I make the application live. :(

The proposed changes I would like to see, is the ability to still have admin (ACP) application functionality (When the application is disabled) while disabling front-end functionality and with group permission on top of that.

I feel like I've lost my mind and I am missing something that is really obvious here ^_^

I hope this clarifies things, if not, I will give up and try something else lol

Regards,

1 minute ago, TDBF said:

Download an alternative menu system, install it, set it to disabled and give yourself admin permissions.

I'm not sure what you mean with this?! Do you mean a 3rd party menu application? If yes, then it's an issue with their system/implementation.

Archived