Commerce - Hosting products with non-WHM servers

ZackL

Suggestion if it's not already possible. Not sure if this the right place for this topic too.

Is it possible to add server types via a plugin for managing a server and creating accounts? Obviously the implementation of the API would be up to me, but still. ^_^ 

My end goal/use case would be to manage sub-directories of a domain on a Linux server with a disk quota for the directory.

On 6/8/2016 at 11:41 PM, ZackL said:

Suggestion if it's not already possible. Not sure if this the right place for this topic too.

Is it possible to add server types via a plugin for managing a server and creating accounts? Obviously the implementation of the API would be up to me, but still. ^_^ 

My end goal/use case would be to manage sub-directories of a domain on a Linux server with a disk quota for the directory.

@ZackL, I'm a bit unsure of what your suggestion is as simply assigning sub-directories to users, while definitely possible with custom code, is very insecure without a proper isolation platform/software in place. Without each individual directory being properly virtualized or jailed, there's too many possibilities that your clients or your clients' visitors can execute dangerous commands or access system (or another user's) files through PHP, CGI, SSI, Perl or Shell files, htaccess, FTP, or whatever else you're making available to them. And, I don't think there's a clean way of enforcing disk quotas without using a kernel module or custom daemon running in the background. I'm not against your suggestion or advising against it, but I believe these are some important points to keep in mind when devising a custom hosting solution.

However, putting what I said aside, I do believe that IPS should invest some time in implementing support for the many other popular hosting control panel solutions available on the market today. It's a bit disappointing to see that there so many other hosting solutions besides cPanel, whether it be for webhosting, general game hosting, specific game hosting, VoIP hosting, and that cPanel is the only hosting solution IPS is officially supporting. I could understand if this was the case if IPS only just finished implementing cPanel support, but it's been quite a while now. I'm not saying IPS should go wild and implement support for every hosting solution out there, but IPS should at least implement support for four other popular ones.

Archived