Blocks on BOTH sides???

pilotguy

So the last reference to this specific question I found was posted in 2014. Sadly with no replies (really?  Nothing?). 

I'm bringing this back up because I'd really like an answer as to why this can't be done.  I've had multiple situations now where this would have come in quite useful.  Im assuming however when I think about it, it has to do with a responsive layout and how the site is shown on mobile devices such as small phones?

Is there an application or plugin that can make this possible?  I'm again assuming there isn't as I'm sure every theme that exists right now for 4.x.x would be broken.  

Some clarification or insight into this would be great. 

57 minutes ago, pilotguy said:

So the last reference to this specific question I found was posted in 2014. Sadly with no replies (really?  Nothing?). 

I'm bringing this back up because I'd really like an answer as to why this can't be done.  I've had multiple situations now where this would have come in quite useful.  Im assuming however when I think about it, it has to do with a responsive layout and how the site is shown on mobile devices such as small phones?

Is there an application or plugin that can make this possible?  I'm again assuming there isn't as I'm sure every theme that exists right now for 4.x.x would be broken.  

Some clarification or insight into this would be great. 

I agree, this something that should have been added with version 4 and without the need to add html etc.

I have also found that in some places you cannot even add blocks and this breaks consistency for me. The register page is one example I can think off the top of my head.

I also have issues modifying blocks for guests as I can't see them when I am signed in, but I cannot move/remove them when I am signed in.

This whole area feels a little bit unfinished for me.

55 minutes ago, TAMAN said:

so you want a sidebar for right side and left? it can be easily done by manual html for pages and then using block keys 

Ok you say easily.  I say show me the tutorials lol.  This isn't so easily done really.  Really this should be a drag and drop setup such as the current system works.  I mean you can pick whether or not you want single, dual, or triple columns so why not a left, right, or both selection for blocks.  I really shouldn't have to build my own page with block keys to achieve this.  It really limits actually what the average day operator can do.  The strength of these CMS system is the user friendly way it works.  While I'm sure I could figure it out if I had the time, others may not.   Why build such a strong system but leave out such a common layout option?

Archived