Myself and my users really do not like the auto-embedding.

Netherlord

Myself and my users really do not like how things now auto embed once link is pasted. It was much better when you had to have it on one line and hit enter before it embedded. Now it just embeds it in everywhere. It also annoys those who don't wish to embed but share the link. And being able to post the link without it embedding is very important considering 70% of the time you embed the render fails and you get 15% of the embed showing. and you need a link to view the whole thing. And now my users waste time butchering the links with spaces so they don't embed. to get around it. As do i.

How is someone supposed to share a collection of videos without adding so many the page wont load.... when they cant add a simple list of links?

Is their a way i can Change it back! because its gone from usable to just darn right annoying. and unusable while at the same time killing post structure and ease of use.

1 hour ago, chilihead said:

You can post the URL using the link icon from the menu.

They could but can you see how that seems like a hassle and makes you go out of your way just to post a link. when before you could just paste it quickly. seems like a step backwards!

There were lots of problems with embeds, and their solution was this new way, or, this new way but if text is on the same line it does not embed. It was a previous discussion. But that may be the middleground and answer, not embed with text on the same line. Then members could posts lists with numbers or using bullets and it does not embed, but on its own line it does.

But the embeds are working much better now and I'm glad you do not have to hit enter. They are probably testing the reactions at this point. So I'm sure they will consider this.

7 minutes ago, Lindy said:

We can consider adding a "remove preview" toggle after it embeds, much like Facebook. Most didn't like or "get" having to hit enter to embed, that's why it is the way it is now.

The new auto-embedding is definitely an improvement, imo.

The BEST solution would be BOTH of the following changes:

• User-specific preference to toggle the current auto-embedding
  • Dedicated embed button in CKEditor for explicit embed actions

2 hours ago, Lindy said:

We can consider adding a "remove preview" toggle after it embeds, much like Facebook. Most didn't like or "get" having to hit enter to embed, that's why it is the way it is now.

I did not like it at first. But it actually grew on me and made a lot of sense. Post away and post some more. If you want to embed it then no big deal just hit enter after the link. It kinda made it intuitive. at least for me. and was much less messy.

But my current solution is to just not post any link that embeds unless i plan on it being a single post with a video. I had less posts asking me how to embed media. Which is a definite plus. But i did get lots of how do i post links to content that embeds without it embedding? which people do a lot alongside embeds because the embeds fail to load 100% a lot of the time. thus making the embed practically useless. But i remember reading that is not a software issue. and cannot be fixed! 

I'll accept that this new way has only just been implemented so hopefully. The functionality returns at some point. But i will say it would be made much much easier if a simple toggle setting existed. But even that seems like it would cause other issues.

So all in all i just see this as a major mind**** and cannot see any solution that would make my users happy other than having a toggle in the acp for each method. The new one and the hit enter way. but im not sure you would want that. 

So i guess i will just have to deal with it.

Thank you for giving your input on this thread anyway.

Archived