Setting up Facebook Connect

Pseudonym

Does anyone know about using IPS with Facebook Connect? I’m struggling to find any info on what it actually does.

I’ve set it up, and tested it, but so far all I can do is use Facebook to register an account and sign in. I’d thought that it would also allow members to:

• Automatically import FB status updates to IPS
  • Automatically import IPS status updates to FB
  • Automatically import FB profile picture and cover photo
  • Give members the option of publishing a topic/reply to their FB page

But I can’t get it to do any of that. And Facebook won’t let me submit the app for review until I test the “publish_actions” permission – which presumably means testing one of the functions above. But I see nothing in IPS that would do that.

Any help would really be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm in a fight (sort of) with Facebook .. in my 2nd review and 1 new reviewer on "Direct Support" ..

My app is submit for review begin last week ..

To do the first step you have to test retrieving (import) a status from Facebook to your site .. and the other setting export (publish) your status to Facebook ..

Don't forget to "enable status updates", like the reviewer in Facebook did 2 times wrong although I gave video & pictures of all of that ..

Expect that they will do it to you also, check their profile on your ACP if they really activated it and complain like hell on their "direct support" ..

Even my 2nd reviewer was typing in the "about me" to send out statuses to Facebook (what da') .. What I never showed on my pictures & videos ..

2016-01-20_12-06-47.thumb.png.b4b48f49be2016-01-17_15-59-42.thumb.png.69e7e0f372

I did report some bug to retrieve a status from Facebook  (still PENDING):

2016-01-20_10-57-01.png.655538cf85376a62

Have you guys seen these instructions?

I found them to be really helpful. I think Facebook might have changed a few things around since the instructions were written, but they're still a pretty good guide.

When demonstrating your app to Facebook, I really recommend recording a video of you demonstrating the process, rather than taking screenshots and hoping that some Facebook monkey will follow your instructions correctly.

That said, it's still an enormous headache to get everything approved. And to be quite honest, unless you plan on creating some clever custom IPS plugins that require these extra permissions, I'm not convinced they're worth the effort. You can still use Facebook login without setting up extra permissions.

24 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Have you guys seen these instructions?

I found them to be really helpful. I think Facebook might have changed a few things around since the instructions were written, but they're still a pretty good guide.

When demonstrating your app to Facebook, I really recommend recording a video of you demonstrating the process, rather than taking screenshots and hoping that some Facebook monkey will follow your instructions correctly.

That said, it's still an enormous headache to get everything approved. And to be quite honest, unless you plan on creating some clever custom IPS plugins that require these extra permissions, I'm not convinced they're worth the effort. You can still use Facebook login without setting up extra permissions.

How did you convinced them for publish_actions? It's the export statuses to Facebook right? I'm starting to doubt myself now .. I'm in a 2 week battle with Facebook to get it approved .. and still zero chance ..

I think I just followed the IPS instructions:

• Check the user_status and publish_actions options and click Add Items
  • Click "Add Notes" and provide a description explaining that statuses are used to import and/or export user statuses between Facebook and your community.

Then I set up a test user in Facebook (which automatically has these permissions granted so you can demonstrate how you're going to use them), recorded a screencast, and showed a status post on Facebook being imported into IPS, and vice versa.

Archived