Programatically update user's profile field

seanzol

I'm attempting to access and update a user's profile field from within a page, using the following code:

$member = \IPS\Member::loggedIn();
$fields = $member->contentProfileFields();
$fields['core_pfieldgroups_3'][3] = implode(',', $to_save);
$member->save();

However, these changes aren't actually committed back to the database. What am I doing wrong?

Profilefields are not updateable through $member->save() as far as I know. 

Looking at how it's done in applications/core/modules/front/members/profile.php it seems you need to go about it this way: 

$fields['member_id'] = $member->member_id;

# Example 1 where you also make use of the previous value to set the new value in some way
$originalFields = $member->profileFields();
$fields['field_3'] = $originalFields['core_pfieldgroups_1']['core_pfield_3'] . " Append this text.";

# Example 2 where you simply update it with the implode for your $to_save-variable:
$fields['field_3'] = implode(',', $to_save);

\IPS\Db::i()->replace( 'core_pfields_content', $fields );

Obviously you'll need to identify the pfieldgroup and pfield id that is relevant for you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2015, 6:48:10, TSP said:

Profilefields are not updateable through $member->save() as far as I know. 

Looking at how it's done in applications/core/modules/front/members/profile.php it seems you need to go about it this way: 

$fields['member_id'] = $member->member_id;

# Example 1 where you also make use of the previous value to set the new value in some way
$originalFields = $member->profileFields();
$fields['field_3'] = $originalFields['core_pfieldgroups_1']['core_pfield_3'] . " Append this text.";

# Example 2 where you simply update it with the implode for your $to_save-variable:
$fields['field_3'] = implode(',', $to_save);

\IPS\Db::i()->replace( 'core_pfields_content', $fields );

Obviously you'll need to identify the pfieldgroup and pfield id that is relevant for you. 

Oops, forgot to hit notify me, thank you so much! I ended up doing it manually like I did in 3.4, but I'd like to switch over to the proper way haha

Archived