Database Conversion During IPB4 Conversion - How Long?

diswell

Currently upgrading my forum to IPB 4 and IPS Converter is upgrading my database for UTF8 support. 

It's been working on the message_posts table for a couple of hours now without changing the Total progress percentage. I guess this is where the bulk of the conversion happens, so it's going to take a while - just wondering how long this took for others.

I guess the key thing is ensuring that the process isn't hanging - any way to determine?

IPS Converter 2015-08-19 11-17-36 copy.png

Depending on how large your post table is, it can take a little while, but not normally that long, you can browse to /admin/convertutf8 and it will allow you to continue the conversion, often if it hangs up, that will allow it to proceed.  On some lesser hosting, resources are an issues on this area with larger post tables, in which case the server can run out of resources available and cause a crashed table, if that is the case, you will get an error when you continue the conversion.  You can also check the logs in admin/convertutf8/tmp folder for details on the progress and any errors. 

Thanks Rhett

I took a look at the log and I *think* it's proceeding. But looking at the log timestamps it seems that the "Post inserts for MyISAM table message_posts" process took around four hours before the next log entry was recorded.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived