how to copy downloads when upgrading to 4.0

Vroom

What is the correct way to transfer the downloads directory when upgrading from v3 to v4?

I renamed my old 3.4 IPB folder to /content2/, and then uploaded the v4 files to /content/ (the old location of the software).

Then I upgraded the database from 3.4 to 4.

Then I copied the downloads folder recursively from /content2/downloads/ to /content/downloads/.

Then I chowned the files and folders in /content/downloads/ to the account owner.

Is there anything else I am supposed to do? When I click on the download links I get file not found errors. Do I have to wait for the file downloads to be rebuilt by the cron, or did I do something wrong here?

If you are performing a test upgrade, you would need to copy the complete site to your test location, duplicate the database, update your url and paths, point the conf file to the new database, then test the site on 3.4, if everything is working (including downloads and all apps) then upload the files for 4.0 and run the upgrade process.

You can't however upgrade with missing files from /downloads and then try to replace them though.

I was checking my download folders and all the files (not folders) have 777 permission settings. Is this correct or should they be 644? I am copying them over to the new directory manually and want to make sure I don't make a mistake.

Thanks for the reply. I never saw php software saving uploaded files with 777 permissions before, so it seemed odd. Every php software I have ever used saves files with lesser permissions. I still feel a little nervous about this and think it must not be the standard install file permissions. Can anyone else look at your downloads files and gallery image uploads and see if they are 777 or something different?

I redid the upgrade with the downloads folder intake and am still getting 404 errors on all the file download links. I will wait and see after the cron rebuilds the download files if it makes a difference.

Archived