Pages - Headers, Image Alignment, etc.

esquire

I like a good deal of Pages and functionality like "edit source" options are there, just not obvious. These I couldn't find and was hoping someone might be able to help:

• Users adding header tags in their articles (instead of bolding text and changing font size.)
  • Can you wrap text around an image? Right now images have no right/center/left align tags at all so no text wrapping.
  • The meta description field is in the back end - can this option be made available to the user on the front end?
  • Is there a way to set an article to have a featured picture? Was in IPS 3, not now.
  • Is there a way to add a field for "excerpt text" that can be used for the article on the home page instead of taking the first X number of words of the article? This is much preferred in many ways and is a stock feature on many CMS, like Wordpress. perhaps the custom fields could be used?

While I'm at it, what happened to the stock templates that used to appear in IP.C so I could do what appears on this windows website and is stock IPB 3?

Users adding header tags in their articles (instead of bolding text and changing font size.)

Can be installed as CKeditor plugin or custom button. 

Can you wrap text around an image? Right now images have no right/center/left align tags at all so no text wrapping.

Bildschirmfoto_2015-03-06_um_21.04.44.thYes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. Yes, the options can be reached by double-clicking on an attachment. 

• Is there a way to set an article to have a featured picture? Was in IPS 3, not now.

Yes, there is an IMAGE field per database which you can turn on. 

• Is there a way to add a field for "excerpt text" that can be used for the article on the home page instead of taking the first X number of words of the article? This is much preferred in many ways and is a stock feature on many CMS, like Wordpress. perhaps the custom fields could be used?

Yes, you can basically set this up yourself rather easily as you can define all the fields you want in a Pages database. ​(In contrast to WordPress for example)

1. Thanks - My custom button isn't working and getting the right plugin isn't straightforward. Hopefully I'll figure out the right combination with the editor.

2. Great. Given the way buttons work not completely intuitive but it's there, very nice.

3. Yes, I see it now with regard to "records" in the database.

4. Would like to have both meta description and excerpt appearing in the source. Not sure why the meta description isn't on the front end considering it's on the back end. So with regard to both, there are two issues. (1) Where does one look to insert a field into the front end article/record input? (2) How do you define where each goes. This is tricky. I would have thought templates - but there isn't even one sample template. The meta description goes to source code only - but that's already wired. But it's not accessible in the database. Hence there is no way I can see to make that field visible on the front end entry. Regarding article excerpt, that one isn't wired to replace the "first X characters" teaser text. I'm not sure where that goes. So... I looked in Pages and no options there. Hence, this is still a mystery to me.

THanks again for the info. I do hope they consider #1 a standard entry considering that most will use this on the web. Also think #4 (meta description) should also show out of the box so setup isn't required.

The meta description goes to source code only - but that's already wired.

​Which means that you can just use that. As far as I can see it, the system just dumps the body field into the meta description. So just rename your body field to Meta Description and create a new field for your real article content and you are done. 

​Which means that you can just use that. As far as I can see it, the system just dumps the body field into the meta description. So just rename your body field to Meta Description and create a new field for your real article content and you are done. 

This is a bug. I just checked IP.C and this feature is in there and works perfectly (including the keywords field). This should be on both the front and back end, not sure why it wouldn't be. 

There should also be an easier way to add a new database to the Create button. Not sure how that happens.

Archived