File to retain access?

Hello.

I am considering granting access to my server to a longtime staff member that has extensive experience in web design and server management. I feel like he would be very useful in helping to run my site. I have a ton of confidence in this guy and I trust him through and through. However, I still have to be worried that I might be signing away access to my website to him. I don't know what could happen years down the road where he might decide to try "hijack" my site of sorts.

I was wondering if there was a file or something that I could mix in with all the other files on the server that would grant me a "back door" into the server in the event that I get locked out of my own site? That way I could get access back. I know this probably sounds kind of fishy, but if you guys could at least tell me if something like this is possible, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I specifically said that I trust him. The problem is, I want to make sure that is not a problem. Yes, I could limit his access, but if he needs to do something that requires a permission that I have not granted him, I will have to go back and grant him access. In the end, I will end up having to grant him access to just about everything in order to do the jobs that he is being "hired" to do. Overall, yes I fully trust the guy. I would not be considering such a proposal if I did not. But you can never be 100% sure about someone. I would just rather be safe than sorry and have peace of mind knowing that I have a way to retain access in event something goes south.

Like Mathew said, take daily backups. Should anything go wrong, that should be your access point. You should retain your domain access as your hired individual likely will never need it. So, if a site gets hijacked, you can setup a new site with the backups asap on a new server with the same domain.

I do not recommend implementing something like a backdoor. Rather I strictly advise against it. Because when you make such a thing, you're also opening yourself to potential hacking as well.

Additionally, you should make sure your contract is well established. If this person messes up your site intentionally, that's what court is for. Sue the pants off of him.

Archived