Ability for admin to set "paste as plaintext" as global default

Eric Allione

I know the last thing IPS needs right now is to get flooded with more suggestions since the priority right now is fine-tuning and beta-testing 4.0, but I am so happy with this "paste as plaintext" feature that I would love for it to be a default for new members.

This was actually one of the major draws for me to upgrade to 3.4. I keep trying to tell members to post their own original content, lol, but when they see things they like on the internet they just dump it into a thread, and then leave a citation. On the BB code side this looks like [font size = 4 ][background: 256, 256, 256 ][font: sans serif ... ] etc etc, wrapped around every paragraph block.

It is usually my older members who get paste-happy, but these are the ones least-likely to notice the little button which posts as plaintext. Would it not be better to be able to make this the default, and then give them the option to find this little button and decide if t hey DON'T want it? Common sense seems to dictate that people should control their formatting forum-side, rather than dump messy mark-up code in the editor which they don't understand, especially when their tables get lost or there is a crazy background color and then they just get frustrated and confused.

Overall, this little feature would potentially save admin a ton of janitorial work. And all admin l like "yes/no" options in their ACP rather than stuff we can't control, so everyone wins right?

PS. A big thank you to the IPS team for promptly patching my forum to fix a pasting bug with IE and Chrome!

Archived