Global Read Only Mode (Not Maintenance Mode) Good/Bad ?

Analogged

Hello,

I know IP.Board has the Board online and offline setting where i am able to turn the entire suite online and offline for specific groups which is great for somethings, but im suggesting that we should also be able to place the suite in Read only Mode. Read only mode would be for instances where you need to disable new content from the site without disable access to it.

A great example would be for migrating servers, where you would not want any new content coming into the database but still be able to read from it to display current content. Thus being able to turn read only mode on tell IPB to use the database on Server A, Move everything from Server A to Server B, mirror the database onto Server B, tell IPB to now use database on Server B, Domain Change + DNS Propagation, Disable Read only mode, now back online on new server without any real downtime at all.

But that's just one example this could be added on to Board Online/Offline or better yet have IPB have a maintenance mode. Of course when the database is actually off this wouldn't work but it's for instances when you know he database would be online.

I understand that sessions and a whole lot of other things that are storred in the table also would not be able to function such as notifications, logging in, etc... But even forcing all users to log out or make it so that anyone viewing would be viewing as a guest would suffice. Cause i still thinkhaving your content viewable is better then being offline.

Though depending on how this would be implemented i think to enable and disable you would have to manually edit the global config file cause once it's enabled the Admin would no longer be able to log in.

Would anyone see a use for this ?

How can i globally disable logins ? Even with no users logged in though won't the database still be updating some of the statisrtics tables reguardless ?

Same with enabling/disabling posting is there a way to do this globally without having to disable it in each section ?

there have been times I could use a read only mode, making changes to stuff that don't require offline but just need no posting for 20-30 minutes.

would be nice if the online/offline had read only mode too. not critical need, not something people would need often, but could be useful.

there have been times I could use a read only mode, making changes to stuff that don't require offline but just need no posting for 20-30 minutes.

would be nice if the online/offline had read only mode too. not critical need, not something people would need often, but could be useful.

I beleive that would be a dtep in a good direction, just being able to easilly disable the board such as turning it offline but still allowing users to view the content as long as the database were to remain online.

Archived