MySQL Exporting

yeah, first I am going to see if they say they can upgrade it and then whenever they respond to that I guess all i can do is try it and see. I have another week on my currently hosted account so plenty of time to figure it all out. I use my sites so infrequently that I got on an even cheaper host than usual because there's no point caring much about performance when a site isn't really being used. Little did I know they were using 5.0, though, and also they don't use cpanel, which all of my other hosts used.

oh yeah i know ways to do it. I was just saying it was odd that the host doesn't use cpanel like most.

I have had annoying trouble getting databases transferred over to hosts in the past. Hopefully this one goes more smoothly. :smile:

simplest way I found is. Login into your current host with using SSH.
mysqldumb -u YOUR_MySQL_USER -p --databases database_name > DB_backup.sql
sftp useraccount@New_Host_IP
send DB_backup.sql
mysql -u MySQL_USERNAME -p
. DB_backup.sql
meant to post this last night but got drunk instead.. :tongue:

Thanks. Well they don't have a server with a newer version, apparently, and all I am currently using my sites for is forums, so they don't need anything even over mySQL 4 or 4.1 or something like that. As long as I can get my databases imported I will likely not want to bother asking for money back and changing hosts, just for dead sites. Weird though they have php 5.3, but only mysql 5.0.

What a major headache just to save a little money. There was no problem, apparently, importing the databases (and luckily my pathetically dead sites' DBs are so small I just did it through phpmyadmin), but now after that annoyance of them not having a recent mySQL version, now when I go to ftp, they don't even make it obvious if I am in the public directory! There is no directory named public_html, www, or anything like that. And documentation claimed if I add other websites to the account it makes folders for them, but there are not any folders! I have used probably 7 or 8 hosts with ZERO of them being this confusing.

What a major headache just to save a little money. There was no problem, apparently, importing the databases (and luckily my pathetically dead sites' DBs are so small I just did it through phpmyadmin), but now after that annoyance of them not having a recent mySQL version, now when I go to ftp, they don't even make it obvious if I am in the public directory! There is no directory named public_html, www, or anything like that. And documentation claimed if I add other websites to the account it makes folders for them, but there are not any folders! I have used probably 7 or 8 hosts with ZERO of them being this confusing.

Based on the above posts... it sounds like you have garbage hosting which doesn't give you the right control panel or permissions... I think you should look for a new host.

Thanks. Well they don't have a server with a newer version, apparently, and all I am currently using my sites for is forums, so they don't need anything even over mySQL 4 or 4.1 or something like that. As long as I can get my databases imported I will likely not want to bother asking for money back and changing hosts, just for dead sites. Weird though they have php 5.3, but only mysql 5.0.

Now it sounds like you're on a host who only has ONE machine for their entire business and hasn't updated in ages.

No, that aprt isn't true, because I've heard of them before. But for whatever reason they seemed to be saying they don't have anything above 5.0.x. Maybe they were just too lazy to move me. Either way I wasted all this time so I'm probably staying unless the site starts being down. Again, nobody uses the sites and when I say nobody I mean nobody. Other than myself only ONE person has posted non-spam in the past year, I believe.

only thing is once I use my site for my modding I need it to work well, so we'll see how it goes and may end up moving within a month if there is an issue.

It's always important to look for good value in hosting, but it sounds like the host you've found, Midnight Modding, is simply dirt-cheap. Cheap ≠ value.

How many hours have you spent trying to get your site in shape with this host? It may be worth considering whether the amount of money you could earn by spending those hours on something more productive would offset the monetary savings you got my moving from the low end of the hosting industry to the bottom of the barrel. If that's the case, you're probably losing money in the bigger picture.

Fast, rock-solid shared hosting can be found for the price of a couple of coffees per month. When you're in that range of expenses, "optimizing" costs by cutting your hosting budget down to half a coffee cup is usually a waste of time at best, and severely detrimental to your operation at worst.

yeah man I switched yet again and asked this one for a refund because they ahd too many annoying issues, even more after the other I mentioned.

I wasted tons of time uploading files via ftp because i don't think they even had an import setup! Now with this new one they have cpanel, mySQL 5.5, php 5.3, etc... So i just took a backup of my public directory and since it was too large to import in cpanel I unzipped it, re-zipped properly, uploaded, then used cpanel to extract it. So mere minutes instead of hours of wasted time on that other host.

I should have just imported my entire cpanel, but I had no idea if the VERY slight version differences in them may affect something so i just imported the public files and then imported databases separately.

So now this is like 8 hosts I have used. As for hosting locally, I've never tried it before and don't want to risk some security issue. A lot less of a headache to not bother with that. Plus if something goes wrong when hosted THEY have to fix it. If for some reason I have an issue when doing it locally I would have to fix it.

Feels sooooooo nice to be back to using cpanel. This host had some confusing thigns I had to figure out too, but oh well, I am almost done.... I think.

Sigh. Now going to my sites tries to download a file instead of loading the site. Could that be due to the server using php 5.3?

I'm sick of this BS. I waste hour after hour on this and that's after wasting COUNTLESS hours on custom work lately due to underestimating time it would take and underchargign everyone.

As i stated, all I did was simply MOVE my files from one server to the other and now it's trying to open the website as a file!

edit: index.php is what it's trying to have downloaded. Anything I find about this issue has people saying the php is not configured properly. If that turns out to be true, then looks like another host with issues...

After wasting yet more time trying to track it down, I finally went into a live chat and he found the problem in like 1 minute. Some .htaccess file was messing thigns up and I don't remember ever making one! Either I did (on my old site) and forgot or else maybe it was there by default on the old one.

Wow, this process ended up being mighty beneficial, though. Of all my 8 hosts, i think this is the first one to let me use a php.ini file with such inexpensive hosting. So i changed my memory limit to 64 whereas the host I was moving from (not the bad one, but the original one which started this chain of events) would not even change it to 64 THEMSELVES, let alone let me do those types of changes. I wonder what cool changes I should do. I've never even looked into what all can be set since I've never had access before and didn't need to use better hosting to geta ccess snce my sites were so inactive.

Also is there any reason for me to use php 5.2 or 5.3 on sites which only use ip.board software? I have it using 5.4, but the build was apparently from just a couple weeks ago so I hope there are no recent issues which would affect ip.board.

And when I go to my site now... once the front page loads, there is a clicking nise in IE like when you first click a link. But my other two sites do not do that and I don't see a difference. Any clue what would make a site do that?

Figured that issue out on my own. In a weird way. i just randomly decided to use an html validator using the source for my site which clicked and the one which didn't and compare. (by the way there are so many errors in ip.board... someone said it doesn't matter, but why would the validator even be there if it doesn't matter that I have over 100 errors on my index page?). Anywayyyyyyyy I noticed one ahd an error related to facebook. So on a hunch I disabled facebook conenct and all the clicking noises disappeared now. Is there a way ip.board could do thigns in a different order or some other sort of fix or would I just be wasting time making a bug report because it can't be changed to avoid that clicking?

html validator is useless because it validates html and html only in a very strict manner against the defined type of html. A page is usually have multiple languages, tweaks for browser compatibility, and etc. That's why html validator is "useless". It's nice to validate it, but the history of the internet programming isn't perfect.

It is recommended that you use 5.3 or 5.4. 5.2 is old now in my personal standard. :P And setting to 5.4 may have some compatibility issues with older code. 5.3 is the most popular as of now.

You cannot change version of php with php.ini.... o.o

A shared hosting that allows manual php.ini to be set poses a security issue. It makes more sense to not allow that even if they were more expensive hosting. Though a "more expensive" one may have higher limits to begin with.

I didn';t say i could change the version with the php.ini (at least i don't think I did). In cpanel I can change it, though, between 5.2, 5.3, and 5.4. I have been using 5.4 so far.

yeah, I don't know why they allow it either. They only allow certain accounts to, I think. They do make you go throguh a screenign process before letting you make an account so maybe they figure that cuts down on risks. I don't know. But there is a server php.ini used as default, so I assume these manuallye dited ones would not have too many risks, other than yeah if people are all raising memory limits and whatnot it would slow things down for others. Like I said, I don't even know everything which can be done in a php.ini because I've never had a reason to do it. All I do is coding for ip.board related apps and nothign else.

I came across a site which gave the following example as a line which would be good to put in the php.ini:

disable_functions = show_source, system, shell_exec, passthru, exec, phpinfo, 
popen, proc_open

Does anyone have other ideas for that? That's one useful abuility of being able to edit it is beign able to disable functions. Also one of those I noticed myself being on the site and thought it was insecure to be allowing it.

Also thus far I haven't really seen any info stating that allowing local php.ini files should not be done on shared hosting. I think most of what they could do to cause problems would just get found out and them removed anwyay. Shared hosting itself is obviously not perfectly secure by any means.

edit: blah, i see it has error_reporting set to E_ALL also, which I remember Michael saying you should not usually do. I haven't had to think about configurations before and what is best to use. I sure can't go through this long file reading every single line and then having to figure out what's best for them. I just always counted on hosts to do all of that, but this ismy first host in a while to have E_ALL set.

Archived