Big Board Subforum for admins of large sites

Thomas P

FWIW, satire is a form of making a point, and I do feel that while made in good humor these are valid points. Especially the QA badge. Those people are totally better and more special than I am.

Since Mikey mention how a little guys input is valid..... QA testing is elitist because their feedback is more important then any of ours. Why do they need a special selected people, aren't we all special? :(

I really don't have a problem with a QA team... Just making a point

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Mikey mention how a little guys input is valid..... QA is elitist because their testing is more valid then any of ours.

And it most certainly isn't based on how many bugs I've found in the mobile skin over the course of 3.4's lifespan on IPS. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on IPS that uses the mobile skin. <_< Also, I'm assuming that they skipped QA testing for Gallery 5, but if they didn't then the QA testers really didn't do a good job with Gallery 5 testing because I found lots of bugs on the first public beta.

But they're volunteers so it doesn't really matter how good they are in the end and it shouldn't be a point of debate. Just the point is that they're not better than me, but based on Mikey's logic they are seen as better.

I do admin a big forum which is not on ipb but those sections are invaluable for a big board admin which should be private with someone who gives access. Its not to keep it a private club or an ego thing its security. Big Boards are very intimate with their servers while most medium/smaller forums tend to set it and forget it. They are not planning hardware upgrades every 6 months and constant retuning and squeezing every last drop out of the current setup. In the private sections I have been a member of we share detailed information about or setups and how things are configured, if this was public information it could be bad as the general public would know how to target the site. If you do have that layer of privacy then admins will now be so quick to share details.

Its hard to speak if your not in a big boards shoes, it was a bumpy learning experience but those big forum sections helped me out. If IPB wantes to be taken seriously in this realm then they need to focus on it. I am not convinced and that big board will remain a *mumbles* forum. lol.

What qualifies as a big board? How many posts? How many members? How much daily activity?

If there's going to be a closed forum, there should at least be publicly known standards to qualify for admittance.

Posts, namely hundreds of thousands or millions+. This is how most big board things qualify on other sites.

The definition of a big board is not set in stone, but mostly a minimum post count in the range of 500.000 - 1.000.000+ is considered.
Active members can also be considered. For example 5.000 - 10.000+ active members a month.
Visitors per month can also be considered. For example: 1.000.000+ visitors per month.

Posts, namely hundreds of thousands or millions+. This is how most big board things qualify on other sites.

No offense to any big board admins.. but i have seen some so called big boards with million posts and they have thousands or even say 1,00,000 posts with stupid topics.. Ex being "Let's count to million" or "Lets start countdown" etc etc... and their u go with min 20,000 posts per topic..

Now some admins don't encourage those things on their forums.. and some also keep pruning members with zero post every 3-6 months. What my point is just higher post count doesn't mean board is big.

More or less, I have seen couple of good linux sys admins who don't run any board but still provide help around the forums. Ex: being Garry.

If you're going to classify a big board by anything, why not just use their Alexa rank?

I've seen people on here who "forge" their forum stats just to give the illusion that their forum is popular and active. It's a shady and stupid tactic that almost never works, but it has been done.

I am not in support of this idea. Why? Because it's pointless. The idea that you need a special forum to cater just to you is silly. What about the members with big boards out there who mainly just lurk the forums and have no idea such a section exists? Or what about the membes with big boards that simply don't want to associate themselves with their personal forums here? How exactly do you audit all of these members to ensure they have communities up to your standards of a "big board?"

You don't need a special forum excluded from the rest of the community.

The notion that you don't want to have to post questions in public because you don't want to have to entertain John Smith's comments, since he only runs a forum with 100 members and 1,000 posts is the very definition of elitism. Sorry if I sound rude, but running a big board doesn't inherently make you automatically more knowledgeable than the rest of the community, though IPS seems to give me the impression they believe it does sometimes.

Thanks for your feedback on my suggestion. My point is the following:

I would like to suggest a new subforum dedicated for Big Board Admins.

There are several needs, questions, issues and topics needed only by admins of large sites.

Some picked it up as it was meant, just a place/space to talk about quite specific things to large communites like sphinx, caching mechanisms, mail tools like mailchimp e.g. etc.

I didn't meant to suggest something that creates any sort of elitism, this is not my intention.

Sorry if my suggestion offended someone, every customer or operator of a community is equal to me.

Thanks for your feedback on my suggestion. My point is the following:

Some picked it up as it was meant, just a place/space to talk about quite specific things to large communites like sphinx, caching mechanisms, mail tools like mailchimp e.g. etc.

I didn't meant to suggest something that creates any sort of elitism, this is not my intention.

Sorry if my suggestion offended someone, every customer or operator of a community is equal to me.

That is precisely what the server management forum is for. Those with dedicated servers that need assistance in anything related to its management.

Why not just have IPS provide a directory of sites that use the IPB software, that are legitimate license holders of the software and only provide access to that list to those who have licensed the software. That way, it doesn't create an elitist group of IPB owners and simply classifies them in groups, classified by the size of the IPB owners forums.

Why not just have IPS provide a directory of sites that use the IPB software, that are legitimate license holders of the software and only provide access to that list to those who have licensed the software. That way, it doesn't create an elitist group of IPB owners and simply classifies them in groups, classified by the size of the IPB owners forums.

Ya, no....

Not all customers want others to know who or where they are... I don't see IPS, a private company, releasing a client list.

User submissions are one thing... IPS releasing a client list is an ENTIRELY different ball game..

I would be furious if IPS released my client information without my consent. As I've already said, there are those of us here who do not want to be associated with the communities that we run. Also, none of my statements where related to the "badges" this forum uses in any means.

If you're going to classify a big board by anything, why not just use their Alexa rank?

Because Alexa rank means absolutely nothing. The ranking is driven by internet users who are unknowingly having alexa spyware on their computer. A very small percentage of internet users have Alexa software on their computer and therefore their ranking has very little relevance to website popularity. I block all alexa related users from my sites, as I use Bad Behavior on my sites.

The idea that you need a special forum to cater just to you is silly. What about the members with big boards out there who mainly just lurk the forums and have no idea such a section exists? Or what about the membes with big boards that simply don't want to associate themselves with their personal forums here? How exactly do you audit all of these members to ensure they have communities up to your standards of a "big board?"

You don't need a special forum excluded from the rest of the community.

The notion that you don't want to have to post questions in public because you don't want to have to entertain John Smith's comments, since he only runs a forum with 100 members and 1,000 posts is the very definition of elitism. Sorry if I sound rude, but running a big board doesn't inherently make you automatically more knowledgeable than the rest of the community, though IPS seems to give me the impression they believe it does sometimes.

I think you are missing the point. It would be silly to have a forum cater to someone. Its not silly to cater a forum to a specific topic. Some of those topics, especially those related to security, privacy, internal policy, are not suited to post in public. Simply because such information can be abused.
I dont know why you think this request has anything to do with ego and superiority. Its a practical request based upon a rational need.

And with this we're back to the "Links Directory" discussion which everyone was arguing about a while back. :(

And with this we're back to the "Links Directory" discussion which everyone was arguing about a while back. :sad:

I know. I wish moderators would clean up that crap, it's a big turnoff. The nasty, argumentative nature of some of the people here in the support forum is one of the biggest down sides I've seen with my consideration in moving to Invision Power.

I know. I wish moderators would clean up that crap, it's a big turnoff. The nasty, argumentative nature of some of the people here in the support forum is one of the biggest down sides I've seen with my consideration in moving to Invision Power.

You should be looking at how powerful the software is, not at how friendly the users of the said software are.

I haven't seen any "nasty, argumentative behavior" in this thread.

Also,

Because Alexa rank means absolutely nothing. The ranking is driven by internet users who are unknowingly having alexa spyware on their computer. A very small percentage of internet users have Alexa software on their computer and therefore their ranking has very little relevance to website popularity. I block all alexa related users from my sites, as I use Bad Behavior on my sites.

That is completely and uttetly false.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone argue in the support forum.

Archived