when lifetime doesn't really mean for life ?

Jelly Belly™

I purchased a lifetime license back when Invision was shiny and new, it was the most expensive option back then IIRC, I assumed that meant my licence lasted for a lifetime, apparently not!
I logged into the client area today for the first time in ages to see

XXXXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXX-20807-LIFE
Purchased
26 Jun 2004
Expires
25 Jan 2013
Renewal Cost
$29.99 Annually

could somebody please explain to me how a lifetime license would need renewing ?

Hi,

We recently made some changes to the way our system displays add-on products - rather than each app having a renewal fee, it's now all under the main license.
The renewal charge that's showing is for your IP.Chat package. Should you wish to cancel your IP.Chat service, you're of course free to do so and your IP.Board license will remain active. Your lifetime license is still, as it always has been and always will be, good for as long as you choose to keep it.

If you have any other questions pertaining to your account, the best thing to do is to contact account assistance through the client area :smile:

You'd be best off to submit a ticket. It's most likely a mistake with the recent license changes.

Posting in a feedback forum where no one has access to your account details is a bit useless. ;)

I disagree, no account details are actually required to answer my question which is kind of why i blanked out most of my lcence numnber ;)

its a simple question, do lifetime licences expire ? and if if so why and on what grounds

if its a genuine error with my account then I'll gladly submit a ticket, otherwise I'd just like an answer to my original q if thats ok ? :)

Hi,

We recently made some changes to the way our system displays add-on products - rather than each app having a renewal fee, it's now all under the main license.

The renewal charge that's showing is for your IP.Chat package. Should you wish to cancel your IP.Chat service, you're of course free to do so and your IP.Board license will remain active. Your lifetime license is still, as it always has been and always will be, good for as long as you choose to keep it.

If you have any other questions pertaining to your account, the best thing to do is to contact account assistance through the client area :smile:

thanks for the explanation, that saves me submitting a support ticket and wasting staff time ;)

I disagree, no account details are actually required to answer my question which is kind of why i blanked out most of my lcence numnber ;)

its a simple question, do lifetime licences expire ? and if if so why and on what grounds

if its a genuine error with my account then I'll gladly submit a ticket, otherwise I'd just like an answer to my original q if thats ok ? :)

I partially disagree with your first comment. If you needed to provide any part of the license key or some other info like that, then it should be done via email or a ticket. If it's a question that can be answered here, then no need for such information.

As for your question, Lifetime licenses don't expire unless you submit a ticket and ask that it be converted into a new license structure, at which point it'll expire after 6 months or a year (I forget which).

If you have issues with any purchase, usually best to submit a ticket anyways.

You're under the impression that the client area is only for problems, that's not correct, you should have submitted a ticket for this question. It could have been a genuine problem with your account, but only IPS can see that. It could have been just something confusing, but only IPS can give you a guaranteed answer because only they know your actual account details. You could have been outright lying and giving the rest of us false information, but again, only IPS can verify your info to give you a proper answer.

It's always a good idea to open a ticket in your client area if you have questions about your account. That's what your license is for.

thanks for the explanation, that saves me submitting a support ticket and wasting staff time ;)

You do realize that a staff member just 'wasted their time' in answering your question, right?

You're under the impression that the client area is only for problems, that's not correct, you should have submitted a ticket for this question. It could have been a genuine problem with your account, but only IPS can see that.

Exactly.

And to expand a little on it, submitting tickets can be used for tech support, upgrades/installs, questions (or issues) about billing, sales, account, etc. That doesn't cover all possible reasons where a ticket would be the better choice.

If you need help with a 3rd party mod or questions about how to use a feature or something else that is simply learning the software, then that's better off in the forums. (IPS doesn't provide support for non IPS products so a ticket will almost always be pointless for that.)

• Management

It's no problem to ask here :)

Some were just pointing out that every situation is different and sometimes the reason is private. In your case it was not really an issue that was privacy-sensitive so Mark was able to answer here.

jeez sorry for asking the question in the wrong place :unsure:

We're not fussing at you (sorry if it seems that way), just giving you guidance to help you in the future. After all, if you have an account issue, wouldn't you want it solved quickly? Knowing where to go/what to do helps. That's why I made the mention of third party mods and guidance for how to use the software, so you'd know where to go. :)

It's no problem to ask here :smile:

Some were just pointing out that every situation is different and sometimes the reason is private. In your case it was not really an issue that was privacy-sensitive so Mark was able to answer here.

Thanks Charles
I guess I should have just asked if licences had changed, as I've said it was the first time i've logged in and checked my purchases and didn't fully understand all the changes.
I've been with you guys since pre invision days (Ikonboard 1.x lol) and been a loyal customer since so no foul play was intended :angel:

I've been with you guys since pre invision days (Ikonboard 1.x lol) and been a loyal customer since so no foul play was intended :angel:

I don't even remember what version of ikon I was using, but I used it's feature set as a guide for choosing what software to switch to and that's why I chose IP.Board (back then called what, ibforums?). Didn't learn until later on that Matt was the developer of ikon before forming IPS with Charles.

I doubt anyone thought you had any bad intentions, from time to time there is confusion and so people ask questions, sometimes fearing the worst.
:)

Archived