W3

EBrown

While semantic and well-structured XHTML is important and something any web developer should do, sometimes the validator flags things up which cannot be resolved. For example, Facebook uses a <link> tag with an image_src attribute to get the image to display when you share content - this isn't valid XHTML (I don't know if it's something Facebook dreamed up or a standard the W3C hasn't adopted into their specifications), and the validator will throw an error on it, but it's necessary for the feature to work.

Still, it would be nice if things that could be fixed were actually fixed. I rely on the validator to make sure I haven't done something silly in my own products that work with IP.Board, and I have to remember that certain pages already will have X number of errors on them and to disregard those.

While semantic and well-structured XHTML is important and something any web developer should do, sometimes the validator flags things up which cannot be resolved. For example, Facebook uses a <link> tag with an image_src attribute to get the image to display when you share content - this isn't valid XHTML (I don't know if it's something Facebook dreamed up or a standard the W3C hasn't adopted into their specifications), and the validator will throw an error on it, but it's necessary for the feature to work.

If W3 can't pick up the new way Facebook is done then maybe something is wrong with W3 itself.

If W3 can't pick up the new way Facebook is done then maybe something is wrong with W3 itself.

...Ima say reverse... Facebook does not set web standards... much as it may chagrin you, FB is NOT the internet, just because they do things a certain way does not mean at all that its the proper valid way.... FB from day 1 has universally refused to use valid xhtml in plugin code( <fb:> is NOT valid...).... laziness or some superior attitude im not certain, but FB plugin/code has never been valid.

Archived