Help me spec a new dedicated server

My host is Liquidweb, and my current dedicated server is running Cent OS 3 as it's OS. This has reached it's 'end of life' phase and is
no longer being actively maintained. So, the option is to upgrade the OS, or upgrade the server. Naturally, a server upgrade makes sense, to get the latest hardware.
Currently I've got:

AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core Processor running at 2.2 ghz.
4Gb ram
120gb HD.

I've had no problems with this setup running my sites. What is most beneficial when running forums? Is it processor, memory or hard-drive speed? Is there an order of importance?

Cost wise I want to keep it to around

You have more than enough processor power there and ram don't know about your drive. Sites do alot of read/write on your databases but not too intensive. Unless your sites are very big i would just upgrade the OS and keep the hardware the same. Have you come anywhere close to maxing out your current hardware?

Memory normally runs at about 75% to 85% capacity from what I can tell with my limited server knowledge.

I'll be going for a hardware upgrade, it's a no-brainer as it won't be costing me anything, might even save money if the new spec is cheaper than my current spec!

Memory normally runs at about 75% to 85% capacity from what I can tell with my limited server knowledge.

This is way to high, I can only assume lack of optimization. Our memory runs at 40% with over 200 domains / 90+ Streams. Only 4GB DDR3 Ram, The board / Bandwith, I should imagen I can get this to around 14% based on what you said.

Is there any reason why IPB wouldn't run on CentOS5? My host seems concerned about scripts breaking.

Centos5 is perfectly fine, Even your current one, Centos3. There should or will be no issues.

As for your system and bandwith usuage, Your server should handle that no problem, 250GB is not alot, I think we consume around 13TB a month, Mostly shoutcast servers, Yet your box would easily handle this.

I noticed we have a PM from you, I replied, Hope to speak soon.

Check out the LW offers on Webhostingtalk - I am also with them, and got a decent deal through their post on there.

We should all group together and negotiate a discount LOL

Pretty sure I am on Centos 5 from memory.

Thanks for that tip Ian, I've managed to get an 6 core server, with 8gb ram and a 500Gb HD (Raid 1) for $85/month less than what I'm currently paying! Excellent result :) I'm now currently in the process of migrating from my old server to new server.

Archived