Suggestion: Calendar Anniversaries

Phillyman

I have a video game forum, and in the 5 years I have been running a IPB forum.....I have never really used the calendar. I just had an idea for the calendar though.....What if I used it to mark anniversaries of video game events.

Example

The Nintendo Entertainment System was released on October 18, 1985. What if I could enter that date into the calendar, and every October 18th it would say at the bottom of my forums.....

Today is the anniversary of the "Nintendo Entertainment System" (25)

I could then just enter in 200-500 important dates into my calendar, and every day my members would see the anniversary of important dates in video game history.

You currently have to put them in one at a time, but it is possible:

Board > Calendar > Add Recurring Event

Then select: Recurring Event Every (Year)

--

Is there a master list somewhere (like comma delimited or XML or anything?)?
I've tried to look for an importable Holiday list but haven't found anything there either.
If there is a list, someone might be able to make a mod that will import it en masse.

• 1 year later...

I would like to bring this back up again and elaborate on it. Now on my forum I am looking to use the calendar as a recurring timeline that will stir feelings of nostalgia. I am entering important dates in video game history and setting them to recur each year. What's annoying is that by default, the side hook disables showing recurring events. I want them to show, so that members visiting my board can see "what past gaming events happened on this date". So what I am proposing is an "Anniversary" option that would do the following....

Show how many years (just like birthdays show how old a person is)
Have no end date (I have been setting all my events to end in 2999)
Show up on the forum side hooks (to act as a conversation starter)

Now I know many people may be thinking that this is something that is limited, but really any forum can use this anniversary feature....

Run a car forum - you could have anniversaries of the first Camaro or Mustang showing up
Run a history forum - you could have anniversaries of important battles showing up

The thing is that I feel like Events are things like "remember to balance the check book" or "take out the trash". The event system is great for these types of events where you need a recurring reminder, but I am looking for something that will create conversations and provide an edge over other communities.

Just a suggestion %7Boption%7D

Check here for my Calendar
http://community.rewindgamer.com/calendar/

Archived