Sign In

DevilDamo

I'm currently running 3.0.3 and using one of the old Classic (Pro) skins.

In the not so distant future, I will be upgrading, which will also result in me reverting back to the default skin so I don't have to wait for skins to be updated, etc... when new versions are released.

One of the MAIN problems my members had with the default skin (apart from the fonts/icons being a lot bigger than previously) was signing in. They didn't like the idea of having to click on the Sign In button, which then took them to another screen and to sign in there.

Is there any reason why there can't be a "quick log in" feature where members can click a drop down box to sign in from the board index, without being re-directed to another page after clicking the button? Similar to what the old 2.3.x forums used to be and what vB does... on their previous and current boards... and the majority of all other forums? Or, just have the two fields (Username, Password) on the board index? If members want to login using Facebook/Twitter, they would have to click the proper Log In button, which would take them to the secondary screen like there is now.

I'm currently running 3.0.3 and using one of the old Classic (Pro) skins.

In the not so distant future, I will be upgrading, which will also result in me reverting back to the default skin so I don't have to wait for skins to be updated, etc... when new versions are released.

One of the MAIN problems my members had with the default skin (apart from the fonts/icons being a lot bigger than previously) was signing in. They didn't like the idea of having to click on the Sign In button, which then took them to another screen and to sign in there.

Is there any reason why there can't be a "quick log in" feature where members can click a drop down box to sign in from the board index, without being re-directed to another page after clicking the button? Similar to what the old 2.3.x forums used to be and what vB does... on their previous and current boards... and the majority of all other forums? Or, just have the two fields (Username, Password) on the board index? If members want to login using Facebook/Twitter, they would have to click the proper Log In button, which would take them to the secondary screen like there is now.

The primary problem is that IPB supports an infinite number of login methods, and indeed someone could disable the internal login method. Hardcoding a "username and password" field to the top of the page is irrelevant if you only allow OpenID logins, or Facebook logins, for instance. And loading up all the login handler code for every single page just to make a quick login box is also not ideal.

Yes, this was a change in 3.x vs 2.x due to the enhancement of login management. Because you can now chain multiple login methods together and run them simultaneously, and in theory disable the internal method (although that isn't foolproof), there are difficulties in providing the exact same interface as 2.x.

Archived