Subversion & SMTP Stuff

Robulosity2

Essentially two things I'd like to see improved upon in the future

1) Sub Version Handling
- Currently if you throw a version into the file and run the IPS Version checker it does NOT really support non-numerical sub versions. Since I customize a few scripts for logging and what not if I change the version from 3.1.1 to 3.1.1b the version checker returns no version.

2) SMTP Mail (using SMTP instead of PHP)

This is more of a bug, but I'd really like to see better built in logging capabilities for this (The only way to do this right now is to use some custom written ClassEmail that Bfarber wrote back around 3.0.3) as well, IPS should not think the server name you put into that field IS the actual server.

For example i have "smtp-int.ssfhosting.com" which is an A record for a private IP that's a remote host on my Private LAN, the server IP.Board is on is named "jupiter" but with this setting, IPS states the sending hostname is "smtp-int.ssfhosting.com" (or what ever that field is named)

2) SMTP Mail (using SMTP instead of PHP)

This is more of a bug, but I'd really like to see better built in logging capabilities for this (The only way to do this right now is to use some custom written ClassEmail that Bfarber wrote back around 3.0.3) as well, IPS should not think the server name you put into that field IS the actual server.

For example i have "smtp-int.ssfhosting.com" which is an A record for a private IP that's a remote host on my Private LAN, the server IP.Board is on is named "jupiter" but with this setting, IPS states the sending hostname is "smtp-int.ssfhosting.com" (or what ever that field is named)

This isn't something I can see us "fixing" in IPB. If you tell it the host is "xyz" then that's where IPB has to send the email. What is it you're wanting us to do about that?

The issue is when you specify the remove server in ACP, that is who IP Board think's it is

Take a look, here's the headers when I say "use localhost"

Received: from jupiter.ssfhosting.com (72.44.91.168) by

VA3EHSMHS008.bigfish.com (10.7.99.18) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id

14.0.482.44; Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:41:04 +0000

Received: from server.atsomedomain.com([10.100.49.4])	by

jupiter.ssfhosting.com (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id o66Gf2kV007485	for

<rj.leiper@gmail.com>; Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:41:03 -0400

Message-ID: <201007061641.o66Gf2kV007485@jupiter.ssfhosting.com>

Received: from [127.0.0.1] (helo=localhost)	by server.somedomain.com

with smtp (Exim 4.69)	(envelope-from [email="outmail@atsomedomain"]outmail@atsomedomain[/email])	id

1OWB9q-00057X-F9	for rj.leiper@gmail.com; Tue, 06 Jul 2010 16:38:06 +0000

MIME-Version: 1.0

Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 16:38:06 +0000

X-Priority: 3

X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

X-Mailer: IPS PHP Mailer

From: Outbound Mailer[email="outmail@some%20domain"]outmail@some domain[/email]

To: rj.leiper@gmail.com

Subject: Robulosity started a new personal conversation with you

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"

X-Reverse-DNS: milian.eksohosting.net

Return-Path: outmail@atsomedomain[

Now if I tell it to use say "smtp-a.ssfhosting.com"

Received: from mail16-db3 (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]) by mail16-db3

(MessageSwitch) id 1278438203878046_6335; Tue,  6 Jul 2010 17:43:23 +0000

(UTC)

Received: from DB3EHSMHS003.bigfish.com (unknown [10.3.81.243])	by

mail16-db3.bigfish.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7E5FD1A700EB	for

<rj.leiper@gmail.com>; Tue,  6 Jul 2010 17:42:50 +0000 (UTC)

Received: from jupiter.ssfhosting.com (72.44.91.168) by

DB3EHSMHS003.bigfish.com (10.3.87.103) with Microsoft SMTP Server (TLS) id

14.0.482.44; Tue, 6 Jul 2010 17:42:48 +0000

Received: from smtp-a.ssfhosting.com ([10.100.49.4])	by jupiter.ssfhosting.com

(8.13.8/8.13.8) with SMTP id o66HgkLI011924	for <rj.leiper@gmail.com>; Tue, 6

Jul 2010 13:42:46 -0400

You'll notice it changes the first hop, because IPS is trying to identify it self as that server, the name for 10.100.49.4 is not "smtp-a.ssfhosting.com" it's the same as the first headers.

This really has nothing to do with where it's trying to send from, but who it thinks it is

If I recall, all the forum software is doing is forwarding the message to the specified mail handler. It doesn't have any input as to what the headers will reveal. The information in your headers is resolved at the server level by the resolver and mail program itself.

If I recall, all the forum software is doing is forwarding the message to the specified mail handler. It doesn't have any input as to what the headers will reveal. The information in your headers is resolved at the server level by the resolver and mail program itself.

If that was correct, simply changing the setting in ACP would not change that parse.

But it would as you are sending it to two totally different locations. By sending it to "localhost", the resolver kicks in to resolve the host name for the headers. By specifying the actual SMTP server in the other example, it is sent to that specific location, which handles the headers. IPB doesn't do anything with the mail headers. It's all at the server level.

But it would as you are sending it to two totally different locations. By sending it to "localhost", the resolver kicks in to resolve the host name for the headers. By specifying the actual SMTP server in the other example, it is sent to that specific location, which handles the headers. IPB doesn't do anything with the mail headers. It's all at the server level.

I run each server, first off there is no DNS records to resolve them the way they're being resolved. I'm also very much aware how SMTP works, and the entire process behind the conversation and subsequent look ups.

The fact remains, you change that field, it changes what IPS is making the call as.

Honestly, we are not setting those headers. Biker.GA is right, I believe. Those headers are being set by your SMTP server. I just took a quick look at the email library (ips_kernel/classEmail.php) and nowhere do we use the SMTP hostname in any of the headers. The only time we use it is to (1) establish the socket connection, and (2) in the HELO (or EHLO) call to the SMTP server. Those "Received from" headers are all from your MTA, not from IPB.

I don't think there's really anything at the IPB level that can be done to resolve what you are describing. If there is, I'm happy to be proven wrong. Feel free to tinker with the class if you think there's some way to "fix" this at the software level.

Archived