IMG tag should not check for a specific extension

Biker.GA

When attempting to use a dynamic URL such as:

http://imgsrv.gocomics.com/dim/?fh=4f4efa4022df6e2fec302b4cf931e572&w=450.0

The image will appear in the preview, however, once the post is submitted, an error message is received because there's not a valid file extension associated with the link.

The software needs to be modified so dynamic URLs can be used to link images.

(And I still think this is a bug....) :P

i dont like option either as we use a gaming signature that hasnt got a file extension,the only way i found to do this was to edit the img bb code settings, but in doing so it doesnt resize images to forum size, surely there must be an easier way to do this

Yup, there is an option to allow Dynamic URLs, but it doesn't seem to work for me at all either. What I found that I had to do was allow HTML for my usergroup.
In your case, if you want many users to be posting these, then that would be a huge security risk if all users could post HTML.

There are two settings - the "dynamic images" you mentioned, but also the "allowed image extensions" setting where you give a comma separated list of valid image extensions. That is where the problem stems from, because this particular image has no extension.

On a personal level, I'd be fine with simply removing the "valid postable image extensions" setting. It's simply not as relevant in this day and age where anyone can make any sort of file appear to be an image through a couple of .htaccess tweaks.

Archived