Notification System Suggestions

Brett B

First of all, 3.1 is looking pretty good :).

The notification system is exciting, and I know that this is the first beta release, but I think it could be improved. Currently, the system seems to work like that for personal messages. You are taken to a list of notifications, and clicking on one opens a new page with more details. Personally, I think something more lightweight and less complex would be even better. Something similar to the way Facebook displays notifications would be nice. For example, instead of seeing a list of:

New reply to your status Today, 02:12 PM
New reply to your status Today, 11:07 AM
New reply to your status Today, 10:58 AM

And then having to click on each one to see the pertinent details on a new page for each, just list the details of the notifications:

Bartosz Misiak replied to Mike54's status | Today, 02:12 PM
iikato repled to AnthonyKinson's status | Today, 11:07 AM

You could have an AJAX button/check mark/etc. next to each notification that allows a user to mark each one as read/unread. I think that, in general, this way is simpler and gives more information at one glance without having to click into additional pages.

There also needs to be a more visible way of knowing that you have new notifications. For example, like the number that shows up over the profile picture in the user navigation when you have a new private conversation.

First of all, 3.1 is looking pretty good :).

The notification system is exciting, and I know that this is the first beta release, but I think it could be improved. Currently, the system seems to work like that for personal messages. You are taken to a list of notifications, and clicking on one opens a new page with more details. Personally, I think something more lightweight and less complex would be even better. Something similar to the way Facebook displays notifications would be nice. For example, instead of seeing a list of:

New reply to your status Today, 02:12 PM

New reply to your status Today, 11:07 AM

New reply to your status Today, 10:58 AM

And then having to click on each one to see the pertinent details on a new page for each, just list the details of the notifications:

Bartosz Misiak replied to Mike54's status | Today, 02:12 PM

iikato repled to AnthonyKinson's status | Today, 11:07 AM

You could have an AJAX button/check mark/etc. next to each notification that allows a user to mark each one as read/unread. I think that, in general, this way is simpler and gives more information at one glance without having to click into additional pages.

There also needs to be a more visible way of knowing that you have new notifications. For example, like the number that shows up over the profile picture in the user navigation when you have a new private conversation.

I like his idea very much esp the part i bolded. just like the private convos have the number on the other side in a diffrent colour maybe or something like that so it can be easily seen yet different to the convos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is there any chance of this still happening? I think Brett made a very good point.

I don't think it's necessary to have a notification log area at all: http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notificationlog

It would be much easier if notifications could be managed right from the dropdown at the top, and be able to view the content you're being notified about via a link directly from the dropdown (see Facebook and/or Brett's example above). It really is overly complex in my opinion and requires a fair amount of clicks just to get to the "notification message" which contains more information and a direct link to the content you're being notified about.

Any thoughts Matt?

Thanks!

Archived