New Features List

Br4nd0nW

I often find myself forgetting what all new features come in each new version of IP.Board. Sometimes I'll stumble onto new content while browsing around my Admin CP. So I had a brilliant idea...

On the Admin CP Dashboard, I think it'd be really neat if IPS would should a new features list. The list would contain the feature (name and description) and would contain a click-able link to take you directly to the page with the new feature.
...or perhaps just a simplified bulleted list would suffice? :)

Anyway, it's only a suggestion.

I have a better idea.

Have a 'virtual tour' that can be used locally. It would have a series of HTML pages and as you go through the different pages, when you hover over different areas, it gives a pop up window (perhaps highlighted areas so you know where to mouse to) and it tells you about the features.

Sort of like a cross between a video and a help file. (I've seen some very sophisticated help files that is just like using the application itself, only it provides information on the functions as you click them.)

Not only discover new features, but learn more about older features and possible enhancements to them.

Sounds like Wolfie has a good suggestion in mind. And I repped ya up Wolfie, It was neg. :lol:

Thanks (on the rep). IPS needs to investigate who all is doing the constant neg reps and put those few members on notice to stop abusing the system. Problem is, IPS says it's "just a number", meanwhile letting people be trolls.

As for the idea. I'm thinking that it might be better done on an IPS based site. Still trying to remember where I've seen some rather intuitive and remarkable help that it could imitate, but as IPS progresses, it could make new help areas. Like have a v30/ area, copy it to v31/, making the necessary changes. Then those with v30x can look at the v30/ help section and find what they need. Obviously once v3.1 is released, the help updates for v30 would come to a crawl.

Still though, being able to click on a menu item at the top (drop down menus for navigation to most areas), then with a demo page view of what you might see, that would allow most admins to click on something they have a question about and see an explanation of it. Could even have it suggest other pages to view for further assistance (like being able to modify/toggle a featuer).

Of course, IPS could always use IP.Content to create a wiki for IP.Board (and other products), where a select group of members could be trusted to fill in and update the pages. Then, IPS could supply the necessary instructions for members to create their own wiki's on their copies of IP.Content. :D

I believe we are going to have a "What's new in 3.1" page, but I'm not sure how extensive that will be. I don't know if we will link to that page in the ACP, since it will probably be linked in the announcement for 3.1.

I believe we are going to have a "What's new in 3.1" page, but I'm not sure how extensive that will be. I don't know if we will link to that page in the ACP, since it will probably be linked in the announcement for 3.1.

That would be awesome. :thumbsup:

I often find myself forgetting what all new features come in each new version of IP.Board. Sometimes I'll stumble onto new content while browsing around my Admin CP. So I had a brilliant idea...

On the Admin CP Dashboard, I think it'd be really neat if IPS would should a new features list. The list would contain the feature (name and description) and would contain a click-able link to take you directly to the page with the new feature.

...or perhaps just a simplified bulleted list would suffice? :)

Anyway, it's only a suggestion.

...and a list with requested features...with some way to vote for or no? By the way what is the utility of feature like the one on the bottom of the front page telling you : "you are not watching any forums" :lol: Would prefer some useful feature like customizable url for blog or privacy for member list ;)

Archived