Purchased a VPS, Need Help.

I just purchased a VPS and I'm lost on what to do. It's unmanaged, my only choice since I don't got a lot of money to work with. Here's what I installed so far:

Debian 5.0 Linux OS
Webmin
Apache
PHP
MySQL
GD
Webalizer
Dovcot
Postfix
SquirrelMail
APF Firewall
BFD (Brute Force Detection)
ProFTPD
ClamAV + ClamDaemon

I have no idea how to configure these or what the appropriate settings are. I know that I want everything to be secure and fast, and also plan on installing the following:

Xcache
Memcache
Apache MPM Worker
Sphinx

Here's my post on Taz for a better idea what I want to do besides prepping it for IPB3:

http://www.theadminz...ead.php?t=71706

I was wondering if anyone could help me with setting it up, if I set up a user account for whoever decides to help me get everything I need installed and configured. Once everything is set up and properly configured I'll be able to manage it on my own from there.

It would be preferred if someone can help who is familiar with managing Linux servers, specifically Debian. I need whoever decides to help to review anything for inconsistencies, properly configure everything for maximum security, low resource usage and speed.

I am quite confused right now, quite different from the shared hosting I'm use to so I would greatly appreciate the help if anyone is willing to oblige.

[color=#1C2837][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]low resource usage and speed.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#1C2837][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]

You will want to Scrap Clam or have it so it manually runs.. It can be a resource hog that would make McAfee or Symantec products look light weight

• 9 months later...

[color=#1C2837][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]You will want to Scrap Clam or have it so it manually runs.. It can be a resource hog that would make McAfee or Symantec products look light weight[/size][/font][/color]

So true! :lol:

Archived