Notify When Someone Posts in a Topic Your Replying To

Shadow82x

Would it?

Surely as you click send, the script would check the thread and if a new post had been made then it would show it (ajax perhaps) and give you the choice of still posting it or changing your post.

Would probably work best with the quick or fast reply box.

It would only need to check prior to an attempt to post.

Can a feature be added that notifies a user when they are replying to a topic, and someone else posts a reply before you? Pretty useful feature that many forums would benefit from.

My forum has this feature currently and it's working fine with around on my nearly one million post forum and hundreds of users online within a 15 minutes time frame. If you are writing a reply with "fast reply" and someone posts to this topic, this post is just displayed above the "fast reply" area. Useful for very active topics and a good thing to let your members feel they are on an active board. With that feature, I have topics that grow over 100 posts within a day :D

I [url=" a similar suggestion a few days ago.

That would require polling the server every few seconds as you type to see if a new post has been made. Certainly possible but might be hard to justify the overhead.

You don't have to check while people are typing. Just when they hit the post and preview buttons. It's simply a matter of remembering the most recent post ID and checking if it has changed when you submit the form.

I would like to see this in the next version as well.

• 8 months later...

That would require polling the server every few seconds as you type to see if a new post has been made. Certainly possible but might be hard to justify the overhead.

No, you got him wrong, I guess. Other software has it like this. You write your reply and when you click send it checks if there has been made a reply since you began to wrote. If so, it shows you the new message/s and asks if you still want to send the message or you wanna edit/discard it. That's about it. If there was no reply made it simply sends your answer.

Archived