A dynamic menu for the navbar

Gros Blaireau

Hello,

We have some categories in the forum, in the gallery, in IP.Download, in IP.Content, etc...

We have to click on the navbar, we wait the loading of the page, then we have to find the good category on the page, we click, an other page to load, etc...

Wy don't you add a good dynamic menu in the navbar, same style than when we click on the nickname (top right) ?
One click, the list of every categories for a system appears, an other click and we are on it.

Imagine, this system could make us save 5 secondes par clique.

5 secondes * 15.000.000 IPB users across the world, that means :
5*15 000 000= 75 000 000 secondes
75.000.000/60= 1 250 000 minutes
1 250 000/60 = 20 800 hours
20800 /24 = 866 days

With my dynamic menu, we win 866 days by click.
We're doing better than the FED, create time from nothing !

I've asked for drop down menus for the primary navigation before.

However let's take it a step further. If possible, check the members permissions. If there is an application that they wouldn't be able to access anyway, then don't give them the option to use it. ie, the chat, blogs, etc. That way, they only see things that they can click.

Would be nice to be able to specify which menu to put the applications into as well. Then I could group them by IPS apps, 3rd party, misc. Or Features for some items and then Site Support for others. Just be nice to have the ability to have a few drop down menus.

That's kind of smart.
IPS will say though that the permission check will probably be wasted server resources. However think of this; If we remove the link to the Gallery for those who don't have permission, they won't be able to click it and load a completely new page(+ a permissioncheck). That must be more resource demanding than just checking it before displaying a link.

That's kind of smart.

IPS will say though that the permission check will probably be wasted server resources. However think of this; If we remove the link to the Gallery for those who don't have permission, they won't be able to click it and load a completely new page(+ a permissioncheck). That must be more resource demanding than just checking it before displaying a link.

That's a single instance.

If you compare 20 page loads with them clicking on it once, then that's 19 wasted resources. But the true comparison is how much time/etc is required per page load to do it -vs- letting them click the link to get the error message.

So you basically mean dropmenus? If so I'm all for it.

Dropmenus yes, I didn't find the english word.

Well, in the admin, we could have a page "configure the navbar".
Then for each system (board, pages, download...) we can add a link (text + url with 2 input text).
If we want more links, we click on "add one link more on the dropmenu", etc... As much as we need.

Better with a 2 level dropmenu.

Can't all of this be done with simple skin edits and conditionals?

I'm not saying it's unnecessary (I definitely see the use), but this is something you can code to your site's needs and wouldn't break on upgrades. With limited IP developers, I'd like to see more functionality added, less babysitting xhtml that we can do on our end.

I'm sure plenty of webmasters don't even use the default skin nav system. This could add server load to everyone, even those that don't use it.

The pages you're replacing are also cached. You're now caching content on every page that will be used by a minority of posters. I won't mention bandwidth, page loading, etc. This is why we have sub-categories. I don't need a mini-sitemap in my header.

Maybe your site does. Like I said, I definitely see the use for it on certain sites, so I'm not trying to shoot down the idea. But what you're asking can easily be done on your end. It would take you under an hour to write your own xhtml dropdown, versus IP developing a system that's functional for every customer and adding overhead to every forum.

Imagine, this system could make us save 5 secondes par clique.

5 secondes * 15.000.000 IPB users across the world, that means :

5*15 000 000= 75 000 000 secondes

75.000.000/60= 1 250 000 minutes

1 250 000/60 = 20 800 hours

20800 /24 = 866 days

With my dynamic menu, we win 866 days by click.

+1 just because I love the justification!

It would take you under an hour to write your own xhtml dropdown, versus IP developing a system that's functional for every customer and adding overhead to every forum.

Sorry Tilted but we are not all coders, because you can does not mean we can. Thats why we buy WYSIWYG programs to help us, dropdown menus have been asked for on here for numerous years, so has an easier way to use the Portal system, so far both have been ignored.

And if someone can write one in less than an hour, why don't they help their peers out and make one for them, making themselves feel good because they helped someone. Nice to be Nice. :thumbsup:

Too much dropdowns kill dropdowns.

Too many UNNECESSARY dropdowns kill the usefulness of dropdowns. Having one for the apps so that the primary nav bar doesn't become screwed up would qualify as a necessary dropdown.

Yes but we don't have any.

Yes we do. The member dropdown (top right) is one.

I have to say that I prefer a dropdown menu working with an on-click action, like the one of the nickname (top right). An on-mouse-over menu like the one on the index of invision (or now above the forum) is too light in my opinion. For exemple, if we want to click on the banner, the cursor will fly above a link in the navbar and hop, a menu appears but that wasn't wanted.

So an on-click dropdown menu is better in my opinion, it's stronger.

Archived