Collections

Tanax

I don't know if this has been suggested before, and I'm sorry if it has been suggested and rejected - I couldn't be bothered to search since it could be called a lot of things.

What it does
Allows users to create collections of threads. These collections can either be public, registered, only-friends or private.
The uses of this feature are numerous.

Linking and subscriptions
Users can link to their collections so other users can view them. Other users can also view user collections on profiles in a specific tab.
Each collection can be subscribed to(if enabled) and that subscription can be 1 out of 3 different subscription possibilities.

• Subscribe to the collection. Get notifications on each update made to the collection as a whole. E.g. if the author of the collection adds or removes a thread from the collection, change name of the collection, etc.
  • Subscribe to the threads in the collection. Get notifications on each update made to the threads in the collection. If the author removes a thread from the collection, the subscribed users will not recieve notifications from that thread any more so they are still subscribed/linked to the collection, but will recieve updates whenever a thread in the collection has been updated rather than recieving notes if the collection has been updated.
  • Both #1 and #2.

Categories
Users should be allowed to categorize(if admin enabled) their collections. When other users then view the collection they can either sort by category, or filter by category. Sort by category would basically just sort them like the regular "sort by" method that exists throughout the forum. Filter will ONLY display the threads in that collection with the specified category.

E.g. I create a collection here on IPS forum called "My ideas". In this collection I will add all the idea threads I create for IPS. IP.Blog, IP.Gallery, IP.Board, etc. Inside that collection I will create different categories. One category for IP.Board, one for IP.Gallery, etc. When I add threads to that collection, I will be able to choose which category it should have. When users then view my collection, they will be able to sort the collection by my categories, which will put IP.Blog first, IP.Board after that, and then IP.Content, etc. This can be sorted ASC and DESC obviously. Or, users can choose to filter by category.

They will have a "Filter by: <dropdown1> <dropdown2>".
Dropdown 1 will be the type that they want to filter by, in this case they would choose "Category", but other options exists aswell such as "Forum" and "Author" perhaps? This could probably be discussed more in-depth if considered. Dropdown 2 will be the different options available in that filter type. In this case it was filter type "Category", they would in dropdown 2 be able to choose between all my categories that I've created in that collection. In this case it would be "IP.Blog", "IP.Board", etc. If they then choose to filter by Category IP.Board, they would see in the list only the threads in that collection that has the category IP.Board assigned to them. It won't display the other threads so it's not sorting, it's filtering.

Admin options

• Enable/Disable -globally
  • Enable/Disable -usergroup (global option overrides this so if global is disabled it doesn't matter if a usergroup has it enabled)
  • How many collections allowed -usergroup
  • How many threads per collection -usergroup
  • Allow subscribing to other collections -usergroup
  • Allow enabling of subscriptions on own collections -usergroup
  • Allow creating categories -usergroup
  • How many categories allowed -usergroup

That's all admin options I can think of now.

What is this good for?
Well, as I said before, it would be a great feature for forums where users creates a number of different threads that COULD be put into a collection.
I'm sure a lot of user's here would love to have that feature as they would be able to create a collection for all of their idea threads they've put up here. Instead of just linking only 1 thread(the latest or the most popular) in their signature, they can just link to their collection and everyone will able to see all their ideas.

It's also good for people who wants to create a collection of other people's ideas. Perhaps I wasn't clear about that, but the collections that users create can not only contain threads that they made themselves. They can create collections and add other people's threads aswell. As a moderator you could create a collection of "Useful topics for newly registered" where he would have different threads that are useful to newly registered. Like I said, the uses of this are numerous.

Ideas, suggestions?

I like the idea myself, Brandon and I have discussed similar ideas for a bookmarking system, though it wasn't as in-depth as what you have described. Having said that, it's not currently a planned feature, but it is an idea we've kicked around, so it's not impossible that something like this could show up eventually.

I like the idea myself, Brandon and I have discussed similar ideas for a bookmarking system, though it wasn't as in-depth as what you have described. Having said that, it's not currently a planned feature, but it is an idea we've kicked around, so it's not impossible that something like this could show up eventually.

I'm glad to hear that you are thinking about the idea! Hopefully you will discuss it more and plan it out more in-depth.

Yeah, I think even a simpler/more basic approach would be valuable (i.e. it could be argued that categories aren't needed, at least in a first introduction of such a feature). As Josh said, though, it's not on any immediate to-do list.

I agree that a simple approach may be the way to go for a first release. However I do believe that the category feature is quite a good way to let the users categorize and order the threads in their collection. Having that said though, it may not be a required feature for a first release for everyone. To me, I would definitely want that feature as I think it's a really good way of letting the users manage the threads within their collections.

What theres a to do list - hold up, Matts not got his iPad yet! ;)

[url="http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/167d70800c/the-ipad"]http://www.funnyordi...70800c/the-ipad[/url]

Back on topic - i like the idea!

Hah!
Glad you like it! :)

• 10 months later...

Archived