Suggestion: Permission-based Application Tabs

AtariAge

I would like the ability to give permission to certain IP.Board applications to certain user groups. I am only planning on offering the IP.Chat application to subscribers. I can do via the IP.Chat settings, which allows you to set which user groups can access the chat. However, the "Chat" tab is visible to EVERYONE, and if a user without permission clicks on the link, they get an error message. I want this tab to be completely invisible to guests and everyone else who does not have access to use the app.

There should a generic mechanism in place to allow you to specify which user groups can access each application. This should be added to the Application Details page in the ACP. Based on these settings, only the tabs for which the user has access to should be visible.

Thanks,

..Al

I saw this the other day... lol, why repost it?

Application tabs are visible to everyone, it's no known feature to hide them for SPECIFIC usergroups, only disable them. All applications are like this, not just IPS Products. You would have to hardcode it.

• Management

I think the suggestion is to add a multi-select box that allows you to choose which members have access to an app.

Not a bad idea. We'd have to do it so the core ones were hardcoded to allow all as they are sort of tied into each other and you'd see unexpected results by limiting access.

I shall roll it around my head for a while.

I saw this the other day... lol, why repost it?

Because bfarber suggested about it here, so I did.

Application tabs are visible to everyone, it's no known feature to hide them for SPECIFIC usergroups, only disable them. All applications are like this, not just IPS Products. You would have to hardcode it.

Yes, I understand that, I was making a suggestion that Invision should add the ability to set which user groups have access to which apps.

..Al

I think the suggestion is to add a multi-select box that allows you to choose which members have access to an app.

Yes.

Not a bad idea. We'd have to do it so the core ones were hardcoded to allow all as they are sort of tied into each other and you'd see unexpected results by limiting access.

I shall roll it around my head for a while.

Thanks for your consideration. :)

..Al

I've [url=" something similar half a year ago.

Instead of placing yet another group selector somewhere, what about an area where you can add the setting key for the existing group selector?

information.xml

<group_permission_setting_key>some_setting_key</group_permission_setting_key>

Then use that key while parsing the app tabs.

Or, add it to the group edit page. List all public apps, with checkboxes next to it, and check the applications you don't want that group to see. That way can still allow what group to access the application, and the settings for it is in one central page (well, one for each group, but better than one for each app).

Or, add it to the group edit page. List all public apps, with checkboxes next to it, and check the applications you don't want that group to see. That way can still allow what group to access the application, and the settings for it is in one central page (well, one for each group, but better than one for each app).

I could go either way (app setting or user group setting), but in my particular case I have many more groups than I do apps. However, it would be nice if user group permissions were all managed in the same location, rather than throughout the system.

..Al

Archived