Open links in a new window

Ditchmonkey

I discovered today that when I have selected "open links in a new window" in the admin - only external links in posts open in a new window. If I post links within my domain, they still open in the same window.

So here's the deal. If I choose that I want links to open in a new window, I WANT THEM TO OPEN IN A NEW WINDOW! I don't want the software making decisions for me that I can't control. Seriously shaking my head over this one.

Especially with IP.content out where much of the site at the same domain can be outside of the forum, I need to be able to list a bunch of updates with links and I want the user to be able to click them, quickly check them out, close the window and click the next one.

• Management

That would require additional settings and logic for IP.Board. You would have to define "local domain" (or a list of local domains) and IP.Board would then have to parse each link individually to learn what is local and what is external. That's a lot of extra overhead for something like this.

That would require additional settings and logic for IP.Board. You would have to define "local domain" (or a list of local domains) and IP.Board would then have to parse each link individually to learn what is local and what is external. That's a lot of extra overhead for something like this.

I think you misunderstood. It's already doing this.

http://www.webnauts.net/new-window.html

In previous versions of IPB when a link was internal we did not open a new window, so the new functionality works similar in practice as the old method. However, I'd caution against forcing a new window. Most current standards-type bodies recommend leaving it up to the user to decide.

Archived