Currency

Andy Rixon

Hello,

Since IPS is known all over the world, I thought it would be a good suggestion to allow customers or new customers to be able to choose there own currency, like if you gave an option for the site visitor to choose a currency, you could have the most popular, GBP, USD and EUROs, I think this would make it easier for visitors to determine how much the product will cost them in there own currency, I myself would benefit from this as I live in the UK so I use GBP and find it confusing sometimes converting USD to GBP.

There are, but not many for free. If you wanted to do it for free, you could include a link saying something like "To see an estimate of what this will cost in your own currency, click here" and link to a Google search for "xxxUSD in GBP". There's some other sites you can do that with as well.

(While writing this, I stumbled across http://www.webservicex.net/ws/WSDetails.aspx?CATID=2&WSID=10 - it appears to be free, or rather there's no way to pay them, but requires you have SOAP on your server. Perhaps cache the rates once a day and use them on the site?)

[quote name='! αη∂у яιχση !' date='31 October 2009 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1257031444' post='1874039']
It is possible to do, as the developers of WHMCS has added the feature, and called it Multiple Currency. I ain't sure how this would be done, but I'm sure IPS has the skills to look into this.

Either they actually charge you in the relevant currency or they base it off current exchange rates. If it's the latter, I'd imagine it would work most of the time, but could potentially be a couple of pennies out.

[quote name='Mark' date='01 November 2009 - 12:24 PM' timestamp='1257035049' post='1874081']
Either they actually charge you in the relevant currency or they base it off current exchange rates. If it's the latter, I'd imagine it would work most of the time, but could potentially be a couple of pennies out.

It appears that WHMCS is gateway dependent there- i.e. if you select an alternate currency the gateway must support it, and handles it however it handles it (for some gateways, that's by not supporting it at all).

Another brand of software has been doing this for years - depending upon exchange rates it was cheaper to buy in £, € or $ - they simply had a set price for each - much the same way as Royal Caribbean price items for UK customers on their UK site in pounds. It is swings & roundabouts on both sides - mind you I would rather not give any more profit to my credit card on a high conversion rate!

Archived